I want to plant a 4 x 4 post, but want to remove it off season, is there a frame I can planat and slide 4 x 4 into?

Simpson Strong-Tie makes a whole range of products for holding 4x4s upright for fencing. Which obviously does not preclude you from using just one for your own purposes. They have a product called EZ-base which is basically a metal 4x4 box with a flange. You use four screws to anchor it by the flange. If your lateral loads aren't too bad, you could just pour (or buy ready made) a small concrete slab and install anchors for the screws and then when the post is no longer needed, remove the whole thing leaving just the anchors in the slab till the next season.  I would put the screws back into the anchors for off-season so no debris accumulates.

If you do expect considerable lateral loads, I imagine you could encase an E-Z Spike (their other product for similar application) in concrete. In fact, you can also make E-Z Spike flush with the ground surface by embedding it deeper. You'll then have to use wedges (and check them from time to time) to hold your 4x4 upright securely.

Here's the page:

with some nice installation illustrations.

Home Depot and 84 Lumber carry them in my neck of the woods and they have a dealer locator on the website.

read more and respond »

Posted 3 years ago by homeowners in General Construction

Report misuse

Image for I want to plant a 4 x 4 post, but want to remove it off season, is there a frame I can planat and slide 4 x 4 into?