[SOLVED] Help with 1960 GE Forced Air Gas Heater

Excuse me for just learning how to use a web based photo site ( I had it years ago just resurrected it so if you see plants that was for "another quesiton" I asked!) Just trying again to post photos again, so excuse me to anyone reading double messages here.....fixing up the other message so in case it does not post photos at least its readable for others!-----

Thanks again for all the information and the location of the material (too bad the site won't let me print it but I will take a photo of it!)-----

Thanks also for pointing out the "+Image" button will try it and see if you can see the results below.----

(PS to the +Image button--I entered some of them in wrong order and tried to edit and redo but made it worse so I stopped, Hope you can figure it out....there is no editing before posting button here so I don't know what you'll see until I post it!)-----

Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words they say!-----

Amana was installed c pre 1982 (heavy screens blocking the door with all information on it so oldest item was Honeywell Air Cleaner installed 1982, but it matches side of Amama Unit perfectly so was replacement for the older unit about when the Amana was installed.------

Amana is Air Command 90 Hi Efficiency Engergy Saver Model GHI 115A50 115000 Nat. Gas  input btu 92000 output btu------

Gas Water Heater is Rheem Fury Model 27V50F1  50 gal.-------

Photos show :------

GE Heating unit with gas shut off valve -------

Photo A:

 (thanks for the idea of taking photos, in the bright glare of the flash now I notice the pilot light tube also has its own shut off valve as seen in second photo.-------

Photo B

Whole unit:

---------

Photo C:

Next we have the two Heater unit vents going off to chimney.-----

Photo D:

And here is the Water Heater vent from top of water heater.------

Photo E:

All three go into chimney together.

------ Photo F

Photo G

No permit was needed for the new water heater as it was a replacement for one just 10 years old, so was allowed in under BOCA code, and the same people installed both, so they said and know its ok.-----

Also Chimney up in attic (that is separate related problem, leaking into roof beam and again, no one here to call who is good).....been looking on the web for ratings and asking around for chimney people and all I get is horror stories except for one guy (most of the dozen I called NEVER EVEN CAME BY for an estimate or look see! Promised for weeks, and never showed up....don't they want a job?------------------------------------- One potential contractor said the "law" would only allow him to totally gut the lining (he showed me photos of the lining he took from above showing how it needed to be replaced (he said---first time I ever saw it)  I asked for copies of the photos and he promised to Email them....I called his office three times, all I got was request back are you hiring us?  And no photos yet, so that is why I say and know and have seen that we have a clay liner in reasonably good condition, but for where it is  about 4 feet down its leaking into the attic.  Our regular Roofer/Gutter person checked the flashing and its ok, so had to call Chimney people (oh right, didn't finish sentence back up there.....they want $5,000 just to cut off top of chimney and reline it and put it back up there again!  I never noticed before but we have tallest Chimney in whole area due to requirements for roof  design and hill winds/draft etc.------------

Photo H:

Photo I:

Photo J:

read more and respond »

Posted 3 years ago by Anonymous in Heating

Report misuse

Image for [SOLVED] Help with 1960 GE Forced Air Gas Heater