Cast iron drain pipe

Hello, I bought an old 100+yo house and there is an addition that was built on the back of the house. Like everything else w this house, it was half-assed. The gutter was rerouted across the top of that roof. But they left the cast iron drain pipe sitting 13in above ground. I put a rock on top just so nothing of ours accidentally falls in. I despise this pipe. I try to hide it behind furniture but it needs to go. How deep would this pipe typically be? My thoughts are to tap it w a sledge hammer to loosen it enough to lift it out then I'd fill w gravel and probably lay a thin metal plate over the opening. I don't want to hire a handyman to cut it, unless my end result would leave it flush w the floor. And I'm thinking that probably wouldn't happen. If you all respond that its several feet long, then I guess I will continue to hide it. Thank you!!

read more and respond »

Posted 2 years ago by Lisa in Home Repair

Report misuse

Image for Cast iron drain pipe