TPH analysis with IR

Hi there, I am looking for Trichloro-trifluoro-ethane to perform a TPH analysis by infrared spectroscopy. Somebody knows where I can purchase this freon? The sources I used do not sell this product any more as it seems to damage the ozone layer. What other alternative product could I use in stead?

Thanks, Bolaleman

---------------------

Bolaleman

I'm surprised you couldn't Google it. Back in the early 70's I was covered with the stuff on several jobs where I cleaned parts.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

We kept it in 5 gallon cans, which we funelled into squeeze bottles, for cleaning computer parts.

Reply to
.p.jm.

malrescuesite.com/

ted text -

Yes I found some sources for technical grade but what we need for the IR analysis needs to be high grade. Thanks for the repies!

Reply to
Bolaleman

mmmmm - repies - I remember when my mom would bake repies - apple repies are the best!

Reply to
Zyp

sorry for the repies and the grammatical horrors :-)

Reply to
Bolaleman

analytical chemistry is a "snobby business" - we only use the best stuff, yesssss

Reply to
Bolaleman

analytical chemistry is a "snobby business" - we only use the best stuff, yesssss

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturers directly and see what they can do for you.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I did this already and found Merck Chemicals as a supplier of this CFC

113 (this is the alternative name for trichlorotrifluoro ethane) in a grade that is adequate for IR spectroscopy (Uvasol). We are already in the process of implementing an alternative method for TPH analysis using hexane according to the EPA 1664 procedure. For soil analysis we are validating a method that works with methanol as extraction solvent instead of CFC 113 (turbidimetric determination of hydrocarbons). The aim is being more independent on the Freons as solvents as they are becoming more and more expensive and difficult to purchase.
Reply to
Bolaleman

We don't want to murder any more cute little ozones. Anyone who has ever looked into the eyes, er, electrons of one of those cute little ozones, could never again let any harm come to them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I hate ozones. One of them bit me when i was a child, and I've hated them ever since.

NUKE THE OZONES !!!!!

Reply to
.p.jm.

I think that's why spring loaded electron traps were made illegal? The trappers were letting those poor wittle ozones starve to death.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I note that this Poster is deep in South America/Santa Cruz

Reply to
Don Ocean

Join the underground railroad. We are smuggling them out of the hands of those tree hugging Nazi's. They make lousy lampshades anyway.

Reply to
Hermann

You might be right Old&Grunpy. I am still waiting for the cost estimate but this is the price I was expecting also. As I mentioned already in a previous post, we are in the process of implementing (an) alternative method(s) for TPH analysis as with this high solvent costs we are probably not competitive any more. Many thanks for your help any way.

Bolaleman

Reply to
Bolaleman