Problems with humidity sensors

Last year I bought and returned 5 dehumidifiers. As I tried each one for a time in the basement, they eventually failed. The failure was the readout value and functionality of the humidistat in all but one unit, which simply rattled too much. Something had to be wrong with the environment, right? Well, this year, using a soap solution, I found four slow natural gas leaks at the black pipe, all of which I then fixed. I bought another Dehumidifier (a GE unit). "Knock-on-wood" this dehumidifier has not failed.

I think the Natural gas was the source of pollution that permeated the humidity sensors polymer substrate in each dehumidifier.

A search yielded this text:

Chemical vapors may interfere with materials used for the humidity sensor. The diffusion of chemicals into the sensor's polymer may cause a shift in both offset and sensitivity. In a clean environment the contaminants will slowly dissipate. High levels of pollutants may cause permanent damage to the humidity sensor's polymer.

Has anyone experienced repeated dehumidifier failures like I have?

Thanks,

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Dave you want good quality RH meter get industrial grade made by Vaisala ,Rotronics and HyCal These are the manufacture however they also put some other name on. Good luck Dido

Reply to
DIDO

"DIDO" wrote in news:vIcrg.5082$%61.4635@trndny09:

Dido,

What I have been doing is use three humidity meters. One that is digital , a wet bulb hygrometer and an analog hygrometer (that I calibrated against the wet bulb hygrometer). The wet bulb hygrometer is accurate and repeatable when used properly.

... but the main problem is that the humidistat has failed on each dehumidifier. I'm trying to find someone who has had multiple dehumidifier failures due to the failure of the humidistat sensor and did that person find out there was a polution source causing that failure.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Sorry can not help you there Dido