wild blackberries or a cultivar

I have a stretch along my curb where I get a lot sun (Atlanta), the soil is poor here but I could amend it. I'd like to put something in there that doesn't look completely unkempt (to keep the city off my back).

I notice that some wild blacberries have set in, and I've mostly been whacking these back, because they look unkempt. So...

If I leave the wild berries, can they be tamed. They seem to like to spread horizontaly. Would I be better off with a commercial cultivar?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news:vWLPl.29377$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

blackberries are messy growers. even named cultivars need a LOT of guides & pruning to not get out of hand. i doubt any pedestrians using the sidewalks would appreciate you growing blackberries, unless you get one of the thornless types. even so, the berries will be polluted by street traffic & shouldn't be eaten due to the heavy metals etc. lee

Reply to
enigma