Who are these Industrial Nurseries?

themselves? If not, they are simply distributors.

On the other hand, there are many newer plants out there that are patented, and it's quite costly for local, small time growers to pay the fees to propagate and sell the same plants.

And finally, just like most other businesses, the corporate operations are the big dogs who have a very large share of the market. My opinion is that unless we support -- as in patronize -- small, local operations, the situation will only get worse. And as a business, the small local guy usually can't compete in price with the big dogs who can get volume discounts for purchasing mass quantities. My thinking is that the small locals that make it offer what the corps can't or don't -- knowledgeable staff, great customer service, and high quality products.

Jut my 2 cents worth:)

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

I know a small local greenhouse/garden center that's been in business since

1914. The try to keep their prices comparable to the chains, do the plug thing, and still offer the best selection of "not the same old stuff" bedding plants and perennials, AND the masses of geraniums, petunias, etc. that everyone else has. Their "secret"? First and foremost -- individual customer service. Don't know what to plant in a specific location? They'll walk you through the greenhouse and yard to point out plants that will work in your situation. They sell planting soil in bulk -- way cheaper than the bagged stuff. They had water plants before anywhere else in the area. And they still have the best selection of perennials in the county.

Of course, as times have changed since 1914, and since they don't have room to expand the operation -- they're not out in the boonies any more -- they don't start a lot from seed these days, but have earned a reputation for quality and unusual plants at a fair price.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

About a third of bedding plants originate here:

Dah

When speaking of "most consumers" I just assume they aren't bona fide gardeners, e.g., knowledgeable about plants, interested in more unusual plants, & enjoy spending time outside & working in the garden. Most people simply want something to plunk in "that spot" and be done with it. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a difference in priorities. Drive around town and take a look at the front yards -- most are the same old, same old. But I suspect the "same old" folks prefer the same look as their neighbors. As my mother would say, "There's no accounting for taste."

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O