Felice

Reply to
Felice Friese

I have no idea what porch geese are?

Jay

Reply to
JJ

Geese = feathered evil

Porch geese = clever way to fool the populace into thinking geese are sweet gentle motherly type birds (as in Mother Goose) Stand one on your front porch and dress it in a "cute" little outfit to match the season or holiday

Shell (who was chased by the geese from hell)

Reply to
Shell

You can get ceramic paint in craft stores. Most require baking to become permanent though. Get some painter's tape to outline your patterns and away you go! ;)

Reply to
Pen

that is really something! who would'a thunk! however one of my neighbrs.. I only had two neigbors back in 1954 had a rather interesting garden including a comode with a quite large prickly pear cactus in the bottom and English Ivey cascading from the top, with a tree in back and shrubs on either side and it was really neat..good conversation piece. I am a bit more conservative, but have to admit it was neat .,and have to admit I found the prickly pear amusing. leo

Reply to
Lee

I visited some friends in Carlsbad NM several years back and the sons of one of the (Catholic)families in all reverence, made a bathtub grotto with statue of Mother Mary. it was quite artistically done and the way it was done was so precisly and artistically done that at first glance, it simply looked like a wall grotto in a Cathlic church. They, too, had recessed lights in it so that it lit the interior and the statue. Leo

Reply to
Lee

I have to give these people credit for adaptive reuse of discarded goods.

Reply to
Vox Humana

About two years ago, a couple local garden centers had in their statuary sections recycled bathroom sinks of various kinds to use as planters or birdbaths. I found this use of vintage sinks appealing, but when I made noises about finding an old sink for the purpose more cheaply from someplace like Cap'n Sam's recycled construction, Granny Artemis said it was just too close to using a toilet as a planter, & she wouldn't have it.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

It isn't something that I would do either. I have seen old bed frames used as planters - a literal take on "flower bed." I thought that was less objectionable. I have a couple of old bentwood chairs that I should put in the trash, but I have been kicking around the idea planting the seat area with annuals. Sometimes there is a fine line between clever and trailer-trash.

Reply to
Vox Humana

When one comes to think of it, a diamond is just a rock, but when cleaned, polished and mounted tastefully, it can be a thing of beauty.. and a good conversation piece. I don't have a big diamond, nor a toilet planter, but I do have, on my coffee table, several pieces of petrified wood, which after 40 years in the garden, I brought in fearing they would continue degrading in the garden.

I suppose there are folks who think I am a little, shall we say "excentric ???" , but that's Ok.. those who know me and know how much I love the creations of Nature, accept them and do admit they are interesting and a good "conversation Piece!" Leo

Reply to
Lee

I have rocks around here that I've had since I was ten years old. Until I owned this house, it seemed like for one reason or another I was always moving from one house or apartment to another, & my whole life I've been lugging around big hunks of rocks that have been used as decorations, as terrarium or aquarium decorations, as doorstops, & now as garden ornaments.

And while you may well be eccentric, I don't think it could be from keeping rocks in the garden or on the coffeetable. There is nothing more natural than rocks all about the garden. A very few years ago I stopped at a yard sale & though I didn't find any stuff in the sale items I wanted, I off-handedly asked if the rocks piled up around a tree were for sale. The guy said he hadn't given that any thought, but if I came back some other day when he wasn't busy with a yard sale, he'd consider selling the rocks.

I came back a couple days later & knocked on the door. We walked around his rock pile & he finally said he wanted a hundred dollars for the whole pile. I gasped. He misunderstood my gasp & said, "That's a good price. These were abandoned by one of my tenants, and he ran a rockhound business. That piece of petrified wood right there is probably worth a hundred dollars all by itself." I said I hadn't gasped because I thought it expensive, but because I'd thought I'd only be able to afford a half dozen rocks. I ended up getting two carloads, including a forty pound chunk of jasper, lots of huge pieces of petrified wood, hunks of pink quarts the size of your head, rough streaked marble....super cool rocks.

Some of the smaller specimens now sit all around the house as book-ends & the like, or decorate potted plants & the porch, have been used in gift arrangements of rocks-with-plants I've potted for friends' birthdays, some flat ones made good stepping-stones, & the biggest pieces are all over the garden in attractive display. That was the best deal I ever had on a pile of rocks, & they're ever so much superior to garden statuary or anything artificial.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Somebody has done this, north of Madison Wisconsin on Highway 19.

Re: What to plant in the toilet? The obvious answer is: a "potted" plant. ;)

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker