What to do with all the leaves?

it just so happened the other day some friends brought by some of the leaves they've raked from their yard.
i had cardboard and stuff to put down first to smother some weeds and then topped the area with the leaves.
by next fall it will probably start to be colonized by strawberry plants.
the whole area is full of plants i don't want to keep taking over so this is a good use of both cardboard and leaves.
we'll be trying out some other material to use as a root/stolon barrier for the weeds/grasses which keep coming in from the drainage ditch (including horsetail). each year i keep saying i don't want to spend much time back there because of how it is so poorly situated it just begs for making more work. so instead of feeding the time sink i want to work on other stuff which is further in from the borders and can be more easily defended and doesn't take that much time to do. once we get a proper root/stolon barrier down then i don't mind taking care of a garden because it becomes so much easier. and if it is mulched that is even better.
songbird
Once upon a time on usenet Bob F wrote:

Indeed. I think that we can assume that electricity will always be available.....
--
Shaun.

On 12/8/2014 12:11 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:

Electricity is not always available. Where I live, Southern California Edison can fail at any time of the year. We do not get snow, so that is not a cause of failure. While high air conditioning usage might cause a failure in the summer, it does not explain failures in the winter since most homes here have natural gas for heat. I think the main cause of failure might be a lack of preventive maintenance by SoCalEd on its distribution system. Thankfully, we have mild winters and -- for the summer -- lots of shade trees.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

We have known that for ages.
re: leaves. (We garden on opposite

I reckon it is my organic matter and I see no reason to give it away to the authorities.

Compost first and this will not be a problem.
Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And

Not this David, we are a continent apart.
--
David

On 12/9/2014 1:10 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:

Hypatia has confused you with me.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:50:27 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:

No I haven't!! It should have been quite clear that gardening in So. Cal. is NOT gardening in OZ. Besides David Ross is always a perfect gentleman.
HB

Once upon a time on usenet David E. Ross wrote:

Ahh. OK. I live in a civilised country and the electricity is supplied 99.999% of the time.
Mea culpa. I guess that's what you get when you assume that everyone else on usenet is in the same country as you <cough>.
--
Shaun.

David E. Ross wrote:

Apparently nominative determinism isn't working for her then.
--
David