What's this odd leaf? ? ?

The leaf at this link blew onto our porch today. Can anyone identify it?

Ray

Looks like a type of Linden

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

In message , Charlie@?.?.invalid writes

Correct, but technically it's not a leaf, but a partial infructescence. The leaf-like component is a bract.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Many thanks. If I plant it, will it grow into a tree?

Reply to
Ray

It's a fruit and subtending bract from a Tilia -- linden or lime or basswood are common names.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

In message , Ray writes

Possibly. In Britain the commoner limes (lindens) (Tilia cordata, Tilia platyphyllos, Tilia x vulgaris) rarely produce viable seed. I don't know what the case is with those taxa in your locality, or with other taxa, such as Tilia americana, in your locality.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley