Weeders

I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. There are several that I've found online. Would anyone give me advice on how to chose which one is best? I'd appreciate it. This will be used to clear weeds from flower beds. Thanks.

Reply to
lpbrn56

I asked a similar question a few days ago. No one had recommended any thing so my husband bought a WeedEater tap and go. It probably wouldn't have been my choice but I used it once and it has done well. It is heavy. We were replacing a ryobi corded with two lines and this one only has one. So far so good. It cost about $80.00

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

I favor in descending order Hula Hoe (works coming and going), Collinear Hoe (Light and easy to sharpen or replace blades ..note blades) and finally the Warren hoe a classic and easy to get close to your plant or make a furrow.

The stirrup hoe is similar to the Hula I mentioned.

Here are a bunch.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Lee Valley sells quite a few of the typical weeding tools but this one looks interesting and may be just right for your needs:

Sheldon

Assuming you are talking about a manual weeder (like a 3-tine or starfish-wheeled one), my opinion is that the longer the handle, the better, and the sturdier (which is highly correlated with price), the better. With online or mail-order its always hard to tell what you are really getting. Personally I would want to hold it in my hands before buying, so I would go to a brick-and-mortar store. Too short a handle and you will still have to lean forward. It's surprising how long a handle is needed to be able to stand ramrod straight up, especially if you are at all tall. Too flimsy and you will be replacing it soon with a sturdier one anyway when it breaks.

Utopia in Decay

Kevin Cherkauer

essage

There are several weed poppers and weed pullers / twisters that can effectively remove deep rooted weeds. Obviously, a precise hoe can be effective for small weeds in flower beds. I doubt whether any type of weed whacker will be safe to use in a flower bed, unless there are areas where no valued plants are close to weeds.

Precision is the key word for protecting your plants and crops. In my opinion, if you stick with tools in retail stores, you're missing about 80 percent of the better tools available for lower prices, even with shipping included (compared with driving your gas-consuming vehicle).

A good summary of various weeding tools can be found at ergonica.com/ weeder_features.htm .

The Weed God does not command you to genuflect before his image. So I've been told...

Reply to
ray.cruz

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies.

Reply to
lpbrn56