water fountain repair help

hi all. i recently broke my fiberglass water fountain and now there is a huge circle of about 2-3" in the top tier. i wanted to know if there are any products out there for me to fix it. ive seen clays and puttys that will fix cracks but what i have is far from a crack. i want to fix it asap as the birds usually come and drink from it and not from our bird table :P

i would be looking forward to all your replies. and thanks in advance !

kind regards zuhayr rehan

Reply to
zuhayr-123

For patching holes or wide cracks, look for a fiberglass repair kit that contains fiberglass cloth or matting. For example, this one on Amazon:

Bondo 422 Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit

Includes easy how-to directions, fiberglass resin, liquid hardener, plastic spreader, fiberglass cloth, mixing stick and mixing tray. Use for household, automotive and marine repairs Creates a strong and long lasting bond Sandable in less than 2 hours Waterproof

Moe DeLoughan

An auto body shop or boat shop will be able to help you, if you can bring your fountain (or just the damaged section) they will likely repair it good as new (even match the color) at very low cost. If you buy a fiberglass patch kit you may botch it and you won't be able to easily match the color... you may even make it worse. If it's important to you I strongly suggest you let a professional do the repair.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Picture would help. Interior patch may not show otherwise, googling and seeing lots of different colors, I would second your suggestion.

Reply to
Frank

The exact material used to repair a cracked fountain depends on what it is made of -- epoxy-based patching materials usually work best for concrete fo untains, while metal or fiberglass fountains can be repaired with waterproo f silicone or similar fillers. Turn off the fountain's pump and drain all t he water from the fountain. Leave the fountain to sit empty for about a wee k until both the fountain and the inside of the crack are dry. Clean the cr acks with a stiff-bristled brush to remove dirt and debris that may be trap ped inside. Dirt left in the cracks could prevent the sealant you use from bonding with the fountain.Prepare the sealant material. If you're using an epoxy-based patching compound, mix the sealant components so they can begin to cure. If you've chosen a silicone-based sealant, mount the sealant tube in a caulking gun.Apply the sealant, making sure it fills the cracks compl etely. Use a putty knife or similar tool, if necessary, to help the sealant penetrate the cracks and ensure that each crack is covered. For more detai ls

emma watson

hello everyone. thank you all for our relies and all your suggestions. i apologize or the lack of pictures. i just not got round to doing it, its dark by the time im home and i just don't have the time in the morning.

in think that the fiberglass sheet thing should do it. as i previously mentioned, its not just a crack, it a big ugly 3"-4"ish hole. so i need something that will fill a bigger gap than a small crack. i put pebbles and stones in my fountain anyway so i wont mind if it looks abut rough and ugly. my only concern is, will that fiberglass and epoxy stuff be safe for the birds and the bees and the cats that come in our garden ?

thanks in advance. kind regards

Reply to
zuhayr-123

Cured resin will be safe. It is safe enough for food contact for human consumption.

Reply to
Frank