Vine for deep shade?

Is there any vine that will grow in Zone 5 deep shade besides ivy. This is next to a house and I don't want it messing up the walls or foundation.

BTW, thanks to everyone who encouraged me on my non-blooming shady dahlias. They're blooming now!

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.7 . Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes

's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
for help controlling your blood sugar? Visit

Jenny

"Jenny" in news:412ced17$0$19710$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

only something huge, like wisteria, and planted close, would damage foundations.. is the vine ot be a ground cover, or supported on trellis, or??

Reply to
Gardñ

I put in a few climbing hydrangea vines back in June. While they're not "thriving", I think they'll at least make it and cover a fence I have in the shade within a year or 2. Chicago, zone 5. Honeysuckle might work too- depends how deep that shade is.

Reply to
Guglielmo Portas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I'm looking for something that will grow up on a trellis-style deck railing (the criss-cross kind) and ideally block the view north.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.7 . Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Reply to
Jenny

you could try sweet autumn clematis

Reply to
jfrost

Is that true? I have some creeper that wants to grow up my stucco walls. I'd love to let them but I worry that they'd damage the walls.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

Virginia creep may crawl up a wall but when you remove it it does not harm the wall at all like some vines do. Its all in the manner in which vines stick to walls and the ability of some to infiltrate a minute opening and grow inside the eaves etc.......Virginia creeper is pretty well behaved, at least on my property, easy to remove, and has yet to destroy anything.

How about some Creeping Fig, now that vine will cover a house in a few years, and it uses a barnacle type thingie to adhere to walls, but it sure is nice. If a vine has twining or tendacles it needs some kind of support to allow it to grip and grow........such as jasimine or honeysuckle. Been told creeping fig needs some sun, but the stuff I planted on the north side sees sun light rarely, and its growing great.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Creeping fig won't survive in Zone 5.

The fall clematis looks like it might work.

I've got surprisingly nice morning glories growing all over the east and south side of the deck that needs something on the north side, and these vines are only getting maybe 3 hours of light because the house shades them. They bloomed late, but the past couple weeks they've been putting on a very nice show. I've got both the Heavenly Blue and some magenta ones.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.7 . Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Reply to
Jenny

snip

Interesting.......the info I got at numerous nurseries on creeping fig was that its a very common vine that grows in Europe, and in places like Germany and France etc it is what is usually seen covering lots of those old houses and stone walls etc....... Visit my website: