Very Very difficult weed - any help pls?

Hi - I am new to this forum and i am hoping that some of you experts ca

help me out with this really tricky problem.

We have a weed that grows out from under the block paves on the drive it is green and looks like little Christmas trees - or like the ends o the branches of the Christmas tree. A sort of brown twig like centr spine with green blades coming of in a herringbone style.

We have tried every make of weedkiller including the 'kills down to th roots' kinds and it keeps coming back.

Can anyone tell us what it is plus if there is a way to get rid of i once and for all - preferably without pulling the drive up :=)

Many thank

-- Teeonethousand

Reply to
Teeonethousand

Try spraying it with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. Wait about a week and see if it begins to die. If so, spray it again. If not, run.

-- Make it just one gnat to email.

J.C.

Reply to
J.C.

I have a similar weed growing in the cracks of my driveway. I have all but eliminated it by using the string trimmer on it every week. Each time I zap it, less comes back. I think I will be able to completely eliminate it this year without chemicals.

Reply to
Vox Humana

boiling water kills all weeds. I prefer to use it precisely for those weeds in cracks of pavement, when scraping fails.

Reply to
simy1

The message from Teeonethousand contains these words:

You are not in a forum. You are posting to an international, but mostly American newsgroup.

It's called marestail, equisetum. It dates from the dinosaur age, has black stringy roots 25 ft deep (so digging out is pointless) and is

*seriously* invasive.

Pulling off _every_ stem that appears in spring will help starve it into submission.

Before poisoning it, you have to thrash the weeds with a stick or something to thoroughly bruise them. Otherwise, the weedkiller won't penetrate its hard waxy skin. That's partly why your efforts failed to make any impression before.

You probably won't eradicate it completely if the huge root system is alive and well in neighbouring gardens, so this is going to be a longterm battle, but it's worth the effort to limit the spread and stop it taking over the whole garden.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

it sounds really sweet, try selling it on ebay

Reply to
Oxymel of Squill

What are you babbling about, Justin Crackpot?

He wants to kill it, not make a salad out of it.

It is best to know exactly what the plant is before trying to use it as a garnish.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Boiling water will ruin the cement too, Einstein.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Equisetum seems very likely. If so, the usual weed killers will not work because it is not a flowering plant.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Good idea. Isn't that what most people do with their weeds nowadays? Make up some sort of fantastic story and some sucker will buy it for over $100!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

The message from "simy1" contains these words:

Not this one. Equisetum's roots go 25 feet deep and can regenerate from any point.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

There you go.

The only thing true about any truism, like most common knowledge, is that it is usually wrong.

Boiling water is NOT a weed killer.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

This, perhaps?

Kay Lancaster

Janet Baraclough writes in article dated Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:39:24 +0100:

Is there something about this newsgroup that makes it not a forum?

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

Newsgroups and forums are completely different entities.

Do some homework on them, Tater Head, and you will be amazed when you learn something.

After that, you can take a peek at someone's blog.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

"Forum" is a common English word for a place of open discussion. Type "define: forum" on Google and you will find everything from a public square to a court of law, and even "newsgroup" as an example of online forum.

That being said, I don't think the focus should be on one word, the original poster asked an on-topic question and I for one learned something about horsetails.

Reply to
Paulo da Costa

The message from snipped-for-privacy@OMEGA.MITRE.ORG (Spud Demon) contains these words:

The OP is posting from a UK commercial website (www.gardenbanter) which provides a portal to usenet newsgroups. Unfortunately, the website does not really explain that to its members, so they mistakenly think they are posting to a forum belonging to and operated by the website. This appears to suit the webmaster's intentions.

There are significant differences, from a users POV, between a website forum, and this newsgroup. Website forums are controlled by the webmaster, often, to please, or at least avoid offending, the intersts of advertisers who buy space there. So, gardenbanter moderates the content of this newsgroup as it appears on their so-called "forum". Its members are reading this newsgroup in a bowdlerised version moderated for content and language.

Another difference is that on a website forum the webmaster/website technology dictates how long messages and threads stay on view to users. Many busy website forums/message boards are almost as transient as a chatroom, and there's nothing the user can do about that. In gardenbanter's case, this has the unwelcome effect of giving its members a very short attention span. They can't keep an interesting thread in full view as long as they choose, and therefore often have the greatest difficulty in following threads and contributing to complex conversations.

Mostly, though not in this case, gardenbanters UK members manage to hit the "forum" which leads them to uk.rec.gardening where they can get UK-relevant advice. In that newsgroup, they have inadvertently caused much thread disruption partly due to poor technology at the website which forwards their posts...starting a new thread for each post, for example, and not using reply-with-quote. They would be far better off, imho, using any other method to read and post to newsgroups.

HTH

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Thanks everyone - sorry if i got the name wrong and all that but th

advice is fantastic whatever this place is called and we will kee blasting in the hope that we win through eventually.

Thanks agai

-- Teeonethousand

Reply to
Teeonethousand