Too late to aerate and overseed?

Hi. My lawn care service was going to aerate and overseed for me this season. The problem is that they have not been able to get out to do it yet. They want to come out this week (week of 10/04/04), but I'm thinking that it's too late tempature/climate-wise. The weather has started getting cooler around here. My lawn is not in desparate need of the service. It's more of a maintenance thing. So I'm thinking of telling them to wait for either early spring or next September.

Am I right about this, or should I just let them do it now?

I'm from Southern New Jersey where the tempature has been a low of the high 40's and a high of the mid-60's. And it's just going to get cooler from here on. Also, my grass is a tall-fescue.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ken

Reply to
Ken

No, it is not too late.

Reply to
Howie Feltersnatch

Its not too late. Whats important is soil temperature which shopld ben around

50 - 55 for cool season grass seed to germinate. I usually wait a couple of weeks after areating to overseed because the lawn tends to get too lumpy if the grass starts growing out of the areation core holes.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ken) wrote:

Reply to
Shrek