Tomato wilt

This is the first year I have lost tomato plants to what looks like Fusarium - Tomato Wilt. Some of the smaller plants struggled and died, but about 1/5 of thetotal planting survived, though even they are not exactly bearing up a storm. Only a few cherry and grape tomatoes survived; the grape tomato fruit is especially delicious.

I went to this Web site:

says the fungi survive in the soil INDEFINITELY!

Terrifying!

  1. How can I get rid of them? Have to scrape away all soil? How deep?

  1. Is it worth taking a chance planting the varieties that the Web site says are more resistant?

Better Boy Heinz 1350 Beefsteak Roma VF Big Girl Rutgers Campbell Springset Floramerica Supersonic

Note that I planted several of the above, and labeled them carefully, but now I can't tell what survived!

  1. What other vegs can I plant in that area that won't be affected by the Fusarium wilt? Onions? Beans? What????

TIA

Persephone (who feels like a traitor buying outside tomatoes!)

Reply to
Persephone

Plant the tomatoes in a different spot each year. Don't even think about trying to remove the soil. That would be nuts.

Yes, but I've found Rutgers was not as resistant as claimed. Better Boy is a great choice. I've got Brandywine this year, which in theory should NOT be resistant, but it's doing fine.

Too many to list. A google search will help.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sorry about your wilt problem - I have it too. As Joe says, plant resistant varieties. Look in the catalog at the tomato listings: all those with VF after the names are the ones you should choose. The VF indicates resistance (not necessarily immunity) to Verticillium and Fusarium wilts. Don"t put the vines on your compost heap. The authorities say to bury them (Where??) or throw them in the trash. Be sure to mulch the plants with hay or other good stuff like chopped leaves, after the soil is well warmed up, to prevent spores splashing up from the soil. Rotating them around the garden is necessary, as for all crops. I have a three-year rotation, because I have 3 plots, and only plant resistant varieties. Favorite one is Jetstar. Good luck! Wendy

Reply to
Joseph S. Larson

How's the taste with Jetstar? Does it have enough acidity to still taste like a tomato, instead of candy, like some hybrids?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:2uSGi.16231$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

i find Jetstar grown in my garden/climate is pretty watery & bland. it grows really well, but it's not very tasty so i don't plant it anymore.

lee

Reply to
enigma

Urggghhh! Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think I've been putting them in the compost heap, but will certainly NOT do it now; will put out in trash (yard waste). Hope it does not spread the evil to whatever the City does with yard waste!

Be sure to mulch the plants with hay or other good stuff like chopped leaves, after the soil is well warmed up, to prevent spores splashing up from the soil

Urgggh again! What a ghastly image!

In this area, soil doesn't cool off/freeze as in some other areas. We plant all year round; time to start putting in "winter crops" like snow peas, spinach, bok choy,etc. (these I put in a different area).

In the wilt-affected area, I ventured to plant green onions, so am afraid to mulch before the little guys stick up their heads so I can avoid them..

Rotating them around the garden

Tx a bunch, Wendy for all the great info.

I feel like a dumb-dumb re-planting tomatoes in the same area. Perhaps I let my guard down because have NEVER had Tomato Wilt before. Now a believer!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

To confuse matters further, some years are worse than others for plant diseases. Next year, you might have problems at all, you'll attribute it to moving the plants, and the year after, everything gets hammered. It's part of the adventure, and often a major frustration.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just to complicate the issue, our "city" composts all yard waste, then makes it available to the public.

I don't use it.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie
1) plant resistant varieties elsewhere next year 2) solarize 3) dig in plenty of well cured compost

topics/soils/soilsolarization.pdf

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

for real big tomato taste try these