Tomato Problem

I have planted Black Krim and Beefsteak tomatoes in raised beds. I added steer manure and triple 16 fertilizer before planting. I water daily at the base of the plants. The leaves are starting to curl and they look wilted. They don't feel wilted though. They seem to be growing fine and are starting to bloom. Is it normal for the leaves to curl? I didn't see any bugs on them or on the soil. Thanks Anna

Reply to
Anna

may be over watering, but you are doing the right thing by watering at the base of the plant.

Reply to
Norma J. Briggs

Along these same lines, how do you know if you *are* overwatering? I've got a similar problem, and I never know if I'm watering too much or maybe too little, as this is my first garden. I've got trenches dug around the tomatoes to allow water to soak into the ground and I trickle water at the base. Is this a proper method? Also, any ideas how to keep mutts with healthy digestive tracts out? Thanks for any info, DJ.

Reply to
Dee Jay

Depends on what you mean by "curling", but it doesn't sound normal. My guess is you've got one of the wilt diseases or early blight or Fusarium. Might also have leaf curl, apparently caused by either heavy pruning or deep cultivation around the roots. See:

Kay Lancaster

The thinking in typically one inch of water a week. I know it can be hard to know how much you have watered. It is better to water less and more deeply because it encourages the roots to grow deeply. If you water often the roots stay where the water is: shallow.

I typically take my shovel and f> >> I have planted Black Krim and Beefsteak tomatoes in raised beds. I

Reply to
Norma J. Briggs

Ahah, I *am* watering too much. Thank you for the info.

Reply to
Dee Jay

University.

Reply to
Norma J. Briggs

I have done a bit of reading on the internet and I guess the problem that the tomatoes have is call leave roll. Doesn't sound like there is anything that I can do and it doesn't sound serious. Thanks for all of the input. I am new at this. Anna

Reply to
Anna

A little lower leaf curl isn't uncommon on tomatoes, It's almost like .. those leaves are older. But if it continues to happen up the plant where most to all of the leaves are curled, then that's not normal.

I had a Black Krim one time, very susceptible to anthracnose and other fungus.

One thing.. water in such a manner that water and particularly splatter of soil aka mud does not get on the leaves. That's how a lot of fungus gets up onto the leaves.

Sounds like a lot of fertilizer.. but then you didn't say how much over how much of an area..so might not be bad, but .. overall.. too much nitrogen and you'll get more leaf growth than bloom and fruit production.

Janice

Reply to
Janice