While deciding not to use tobacco "juice" for an ultimate bombing
run against the stink bugs that are giving my cowpeas and okra such hard
times this year, I came across this item about tobacco mosaic virus that
might interest someone:
The plants used in the test results offered in this .pdf:
were petunias and, strictly speaking, the results can't be assumed to
apply generally ...but:
In short, in tests done on three petunia cultivars, chlorine bleach
at 1:10 in water prevents transfer of specific tobacco mosaic virus from
tools as well as "nonfat dry milk (20% wt/vol) + "Tween-20 (0.1%)" and
new razor blades. Plain nonfat dry milk was next-best.
Personally, and for many years I've used a spray of chlorine
bleach 1:4 with water, as well as, 91% isopropyl on tools, knives,
secateurs, etc. and wondered whether it "really" does any good but
figured it can't hurt. At least, I can cut back on the bleach. Now,
I'm wondering whether the acohol is overkill....
This is a caution against leaving the bleach on the cutting tools
for much more than about a minute and a reminder to disinfect the
various sticks, spoons, and other helpful doo-dahs that gardeners keep
in our pockets.
Click to see the full signature.