Time to pick up the crappy peaches again

We have an ornamental tree in our yard that we love 11 months of the year and hate in September. It is a weeping peach, nice shape, lots of shade, beautiful flowers late April (zone 5).

But those beautiful flowers evolve into small inedible peaches. Even the squirrels will not eat them.

So, we have to pick them off the tree or off the ground because they make a slippery, smelly, ugly mess if left there. This year there is a bumper crop.

Any ideas on how to avoid the peaches that does not involve a chainsaw?

TIA

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Snip the blossoms off one at a time as they fade. Or, murder the tree and get one that you like. There must be others with a similar shape.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Charles

just a thought john,

after they have f snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len garden

Thanks for the thoughts but this tree is very prolific, which is beautiful when they are flowers but hateful when they are fruit. Pruning is out the question as most branches would have to come off ruining the tree.

Pulling off the fruit before it falls is harder than waiting for it to fall.

I do put a tarp under it and shake the branches catching most of them but that is still a PITB.

If I had a crappy-peach-eating squirrel he might avoid my usual squirrel controls.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

If it would make clean-up any easier, there are chemical sprays that will make a tree drop it's fruit, hopefully within a short period of time.

Sherw> >

Reply to
sherwindu

Send mailing address! I will FedEx you unlimited squirrels -- as soon as I catch them.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone