Sunlight - how much?

I have simple house plants, cactus and ivy types. Security requires I install shutters on windows that will remain closed when I am at work. At this time of the year it is dark out when I arrive home. House plants will get no daylight/sunlight so will they die?

So the question is: How much (minimum) daylight/sunlight per day or week is required to keep house plants alive or can they survive with an ordinary light bulb source?

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
occupant

Good thing you stick with the simple plants. Those fancy ones can get complicated.

Plants need light every day in order to grow well. How many hours each day in a 24 hour cycle is another matter. Would say at least 8 hours minimum per day.

The three categories you mention will differ widely in their light requirements. Cactus especially need more intense light otherwise the stems will etiolate and become unhealthy.

Would recommend you get a plant stand with grow lights and a timer.

Reply to
Cereus-validus