stinky trees?

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it! I live in St.Loui Missouri(USA) and around my neighborhood there are a bunch of frui bearing trees, the fruit it yellow in color and about the size of cherry. The fruit really really stinks! I guess because alot of it ha fallen to the ground and people stepping on them. I am sure they don smell that bad undamaged. I was just wondering if anyone had any clu to what tree this is. Btw it is a short tree not tall.

Thanx

-- stltrees

Reply to
stltrees

Nevermind I found out they are female ginkgo trees!Thanx

-- stltrees

Reply to
stltrees

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

Reply to
Travis

If it smells like dog crap, it is probably a female Ginko tree. They have very distinctive triangular leaves. It is a very ancient tree. Take a look here:

?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&q=Ginko+tree++

Reply to
Vox Humana

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found the SIT through gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you hav a problem or something?

----SNIP BACK----

-- stltrees

Reply to
stltrees

SITEthrough gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you havea problem or something?

It may not be particularly important, but it's a fact, this is a newsgroup, not a website. Why let such a simple fact mess you up?

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

The message from stltrees contains these words:

Gardenbanter provides a portal to usenet, where newsgroups live. You don't see the whole group because gardenbanter moderates posts they don't like.

Think of it like this, we're all at home watching TV, with satellite, digital and a remote control which enables us to pick exactly what we want to see. Gardenbanter members are like homeless people standing on the street looking through a shop window at the TV program someone else selected, you haven't got a remote to control your view and can't actually hear the sound track. So you don't even know that Travis sings all his posts in a wonderful baritone.

editing replies so that you only reply to the other person's salient point(s) is normal on usenet.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I did not snip anything. I fully quoted your message.

Reply to
Travis

I didn't know there were so many homeless people connected to the internet. Must have one of those fancy web enabled cell phones.

Reply to
Travis

Could it be Ginkgo biloba?

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

There you go.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Have they been in the news lately?

Reply to
Travis

Ginkgo was my first thought! Because of the smell of the fruit, my daughter's friend used to call them "stink trees." And interestingly, they don't usually start to bear until they're @ 20 years old or so.

Suzy O Zone 5, Milwaukee, WI

Reply to
Suzy O

Yes, and I would add it is the female of this tree that is the problem. The male has no such fruit and makes a very nice parkway tree.

Sherw> Ginkgo was my first thought! Because of the smell of the fruit, my

Reply to
sherwindu

Reply to
Suzy O