Seed life

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

and there is a genetic component to the taste too, some people get a real bitter taste from them that others do not.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

You specified nothing more than "Collards and Kale." You wrote nothing regarding the preparation. I cannot pay attention to what you do not write.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Hi Drew,

If you had read the whole letter, it was pretty clear from context that I am a big advocate of fresh, local grown organic vegi's. You really should have read the whole letter before jumping to conclusions.

Had you only read the part about "Collards and Kale" (a terrible choice for kids) and you happen to like that kind of cafeteria stuff, maybe I can see your point, although I did call it toxic waste. Maybe you you were not able to visualize a plastic cup filled with boiled down collards and kale. Or, maybe you like your vegi's that way. To each, his own.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Songbird,

There are apparently a certain segment of the population that can smell a sulfur component in broccoli. Poor folks can't stand to even be around the stuff.

Kale, being a kissing cousin to broccoli, may be the same smell. On the other hand, I love broccoli and can't stand kale, so perhaps not. (I can't imagine what kale tastes like "juiced" -- a whole bottle of penicillin!)

I make a Paleo/Diabetic broccoli cheese soup that is so good! It is so rich is will knock your socks off. Those poor folks that can smell the sulfur probably wouldn't be able to be in the house.

-T

Reply to
Todd

I like to yard sale. I found this big green juicer for $25, and they retail for about $250. Champion brand. My wife then believed that anything worth doing was worth obsessing over. She got juicing books.

Her first concoction was some dark green glop with about 12 ingredients. She lines us up military style for our dose. The kids wailed,"Do I have to drink this?" Well, you don't challenge the queen. They took a sip, and ran gagging towards the closest rest room.

I suggested she taste it, if it was so good for us. Maybe the kids were just being kids, and didn't realize what a good thing this was. She looked at me as, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE QUEEN, THE QUEEN DOESN'T HAVE TO TASTE ANYTHING!" She took a healthy mouthful, and lucky she was close to the sink. She got some in the sink, the rest on the walls, counter top, floor, and down the front of her, along with what looked like a little breakfast. I was the last to taste it, and I just describe it as battery acid with a hint of lemon. She harumphed, "Needs more spinach."

After that, we regularly made carrot juice, apple juice, grapefruit juice, grape juice, and several things that were quite good. Applesauce made in it was good. I mostly made it, because what I made was very simple, and didn't have hidden nasty tasting things like kale and spinach and leftover peelings. The kids liked MY juice, which just aggravated the situation. I once took on an orange skin hue from drinking too much carrot juice, which I love when made with young small thin carrots. Very sweet.

Most "health" foods (translates to overpriced and overrated) don't do much more than just a balanced diet. Yes, cooking it less, and cooking the skin gives it more value, but there is no magic bullet. I get amused by local AM radio shows who have some "expert" on it who makes it sound like there is some magic ingredients that no one but they have access to, and they spout huge words to describe their expensive products. Ah, if we would only do what THEY say, our cancers and all other manner of afflictions would go away by noon tomorrow.

There is nowhere a disclaimer that one should clear this with one's doctor. I am a lifetime coumadin patient, with an artificial heart valve. Kale and spinach are BAD for me. It could be bad for lots of others who listen to this claptrap on the radio, and who take this and have severe reactions or complications.

So, as with everything, results may vary, and ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. If you find a balanced diet that YOU like, stick to it, and let the naysayers eat all the latest magic food du jour, and fad diet that they will prove next year killed hundreds of people. Common sense isn't very common any more.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We had a test in high school biology. We were given small paper test strips. We put them in our mouths. About half spit them out instantly. I was one of them. Not sour. Not bitter. Just UGH! YUCK! The rest of the class was chewing theirs with no reaction.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is the PTC test to determine a genetic ability to taste the compound phenolthiocarbamide. It is a nice demonstration as the population largely falls into two distinct categories, tasters and non-tasters and in any class you are very likely to get some of each. Of course the words used to describe sense impressions are often subjective but most tasters would describe PTC as very bitter.

Todd is quite correct that a number of aspect of tasting ability are inherited. It is quite possible that his revulsion to kale is genetic but upbringing has effects too. Some people like olives immediately, some aquire the taste and some never do. Like so many things to do with people it ain't simple.

David Hare-Scott

You need to be careful with that common sense stuff it can get a bad name.

David Hare-Scott

I wrote the above para. I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING regardless of what the attributions say.:

You got that right! Go into Vons or Ralphs

Reply to
Fran Farmer

:-)) Indeed. No curry with only 5 ingredients would be worth eating.

:-)) Indeed that IS a generalisation that is not particularly useful IMO.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Hi David,

And our tastes do change with age too. When I was a nipper, I literally thought my mother was trying to kill me when she fed me asparagus. Now days, I have to force myself not to eat it raw before it gets to the pan! I fail about 10% of the time.

I wonder if I would have liked kale as a kid? Probably not.

Then again, "they" say you can't smell alcohol. I actually can. (The straight chemistry set stuff too with out any fruit orders to give it away.)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Steve,

I love the writing! I could see the description in my minds eye. Oh my goodness!

One of the things Mark Sisson (Mr. Paleo) likes to point out is that Grok (my favorite cave man) had a ton more variety in his diet than we have today. Puts new meaning to the term "balanced diet".

And most "health food" I find are just carbs under fancy marketing. Use to love Amy's frozen dinners (the ones without MSG in them).

I also believe we have taste buds for a reason. This is why I harp on produce tasting like crap, unless it is grown properly. I can picture Grok testing his first Kale. It probably would have flown back out. "YUK! I call this crap 'Kale'. Must take some back to cave to feed wife and kids. Chuckle, chuckle. All funny!"

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Steve,

Read this to my wife. We both laughed so hard we were gasping for air. Thank you!

-T

Reply to
Todd