seed failure

having grown seeds saved from last years plants and alway using a good seed compost we have hardly any appear. been doing this for years so not a novice any suggestions would be welcome seeds are rudbeckia cosmos and marigolds so nothing temperamental there

Reply to
candy girl

Have you got enough to try sprouting them in sand or in rolled paper towels? Then you can see if you've got a seed disease or empty (no embryo) vs. dormant seed in your conditions. Nonviable seed will rot in a few days to a few weeks; dormant seed will sit there and just refuse to grow.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

I assume you are trying to start the seeds in pots, flats, or other containers. Instead of a compost, use a mix of half coarse sand and half peat moss. If the seeds are planted near the surface of a container that is not very shallow, put the compost in the bottom half and the sand and peat moss mix in the top half.

Nutrients in compost promote mold and rot, abetted by the fungi that create compost. On the other hand, peat moss inhibits mold and rot. If you can get the seeds to sprout in the sand and peat moss mix, their roots will grow down into the compost when they are ready to take up nutrients.

Reply to
David E. Ross

My first attempt at harvesting seed was from marigolds. Not a single seed germinated.

Some time later, I realized that the plants I harvested from were a triploid variety -- 100% infertile. I felt really stupid.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

rec.gardens?

It's about wrecking gardens. Read and see...

No seriously, the "rec." prefix is "recreation".

Reply to
Dan Espen

'Tis wot it does. Wot do the woirds plants, seeds, pots, flats, containers, and compost make you think of? If you can't finger that out, you may as well go back to watching Fox News where you don't have to think.

Reply to
Billy

I will tell you provided you explain why you asked. Who is it that says to a group of individuals go to this newsgroup and post this silly question?

David Hare-Scott

More to the point why do have to ask twice within a few minutes?

David Hare-Scott