Red Autumn Sage question

Hello,

We've just had some Desert landscaping completed. Amongst the new plants and shrubs that we have are some Red Autumn Sage. The leaves have all dropped off and the plants look decidedly bare. Is this normal for this plant at this time of year?

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Dave Moss

Reply to
Dave Moss

Where in the desert exactly are you located? A hard freeze can cause defoliation of this plant and if cold enough, death, but it is typically evergreen in milder climates. If you experience a lot of cold weather in winter, this salvia may not be a correct choice for your location.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Pam,

I'm located in St George, SW Utah. We have had some cold nights this Fall, but I don't believe the temperature has got much lower than

0C/32F.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Moss

Dave, provided you are zone 7 or above, I'm not sure what might be the problem with your salvia. Was it watered in properly at planting time and since if the weather has been dry? Not overwatered? I grow several varieties of Autumn sage and all are still very much in leaf, even though we have had a couple of nights down into the 20's. I'd suspect some sort of planting mishap if newly planted and weather has been agreeable. Get your landscaper back and ask them what's up and if they will replace. Most companies worth their salt will, specially if the plant fails very soon after initial planting.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal