Recalcitrant edging

Here's picture of edging I just bought. Manufactured wood. It is very hard to rassle. I unrolled it with difficulty and pinned it down with heavy bricks until it more or less straightened out, but it will still be difficult to bend around the curves at the end of the bed.

anyone have experience with these? Should I pour hot water on to make it more malleable? Or?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

When my back yard was redone, the landscape contractor used some kind of manufactured edging. For broad, gentle curves, he nailed the edging to stakes driven into the ground 2-3 feet apart. For sharp bends, he cut the edging and nailed adjacent ends of the two pieces to stakes.

I discovered long ago how to nail edging to stakes. You place a sledge hammer lying down with the head against the stake and the handle pointing away from the edging. Stand with one foot on the handle of the sledge hammer. Drive the nails from the edging into the stake. the sledge hammer and you standing on its handle will keep the stake steady while the nails are being driven.

Reply to
David E. Ross

***Thank you, but my situation is a little different. I am my own "contractor", and the area to be partially circumscribed is limited. I am looking for ways to "soften" in order to be able to manipulate the stiff and "recalcitrant" edging to make it conform to the small rectangular bed to be edged. I will be reusing the metal stakes from earlier borders.

Anybody else?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I think the idea of heat is a good one. Hot water, sun, blow dryer of better a heat gun. You will have to work quick and do small sections at a time so it is going to take a while. Let us know how it goes

Reply to
mj

For a *rectangular* bed why are you bothering with "free-form" type edging? Seems to me a trip to the lumber yard for some landscpape ties is in order. Instead of an image of that fercocktah product post a picture of the bed you want edged. In my experience free-form type edging doesn't work for straight lines, no matter how many pegs are used it always ends up crooked. And if you live where the ground freezes no flexible edging works.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

***NOW you tell me! I had zero experience with this stuff. Grrr...

Actually I did have wood boards around the bed, but threw them out while redoing the entire area. They were rotted from underneath anyway. However, I do have manufactured boards that I took up from another bed, so maybe I'll use them along with their stakes. They are taller than the unobtrusive edging that I posted earlier, so will have to sink them lower, as I'm not aiming for a raised bed.

I can use up the "recalcitrant" edging along some straight beds in front, ***but how the hell do I store it till I get to the project.*** If I roll it back up, will run into the same straightening problem. Grrr...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I would cut that coil into 10' lengths and stack them flat in a shed/garage with some weight to hold them down. One day you'll discover a project to use them but meanwhile forget they exist... or pack it into its wrapping and return it to the store and get your money back.

Reply to
Brooklyn1