Re: the answer is yes

I'm envious. While cleaning out my backyard when I first moved here I found black plastic bags that someone had used to gather weeds/leaves and forgotten about. I opened them up and discovered real treasure. Every year I wished I had enough leaves to compost this way buy I need them all to cover my shade garden. DK

If you scrounge 19 overstuffed bags of leaves two years ago and pile them up > in an out of way space, will they compost over that period of time into > black humus? The answer is yes.............I finally pulled the bags of > leaves I'd scrounged in Sevierville along side of the road on my way home > when I worked up in Gatlinburg, and then tossed under the kitchen deck until > I had time to dump them into my compost pile. > > I actually had scrounged about 29 huge bags of leaves, but had actually used > ten of them over the last year or two when I thought of it, but the lion's > share of them sat quietly under the deck decomposing. I noticed yesterday > as I was cleaning off the downstairs patio slab that is in front of the > laundry room/den that one bag was almost decomposed completely and what was > inside was black and there were huge earthworms. That's all it took. > > Today I planted the four althea's along the northern edge of the first ridge > behind our house and was wondering what I'd fill the holes up with. The soil > was worse than concrete with the dry spell we've had recently. All the rains > we've gotten have done their best and worst but now with NO rain, there are > huge cracks in the soil now. I couldn't get the shovel into the soil to > even make a hole. It took the maddock. > > One althea had too much soil and provided it's own top fill, but the other > three were looking like they were going to be living out the fall and winter > in their nursery pot when I decided I'd plug them under the walnut tree in > the walnut box with the hardy begonia, Ladies of the valley, Sum and > Substance hosta, and bronze ajuga. But there wasn't adequate soil at the > northern end of the box. Ahhhhh, never mind, I will at least be able to dig > a hole for the bushes, and topdress them with a bag or two of the leaf > compost under the deck. I took them all. It was wonderful. Every bag was two > thirds less than what it had been. But each one had rich, damp, black > compost. > > The box now has two altheas. One pure white one called Diana. The other is > Aphrodite, a deep pink with deep burgandy pink throat. The other ones are a > double red and a double pink-purple one that I planted on either side of the > other two doubles. When they grow together, their combination of double > puffs of color will be intriguing. And the pure white Diana is the cleanest > white one I've ever seen, standing next to the deep pink Aphrodite will be > kinda neat too. > > Down in the tomato box I planted "Magic Carpet" spirea to join the Goldflame > one I'd plugged in the corner three weeks earlier. I am slowly making my > way away from the constipated front and side beds. There's hope for me yet. > And oh joy, oh joy, I got my baby Deutzia from Brudder John today in the > mail and it's tucked against the northern side of the tomato box near a > rich, composty area where the soil slowly leeches out, and a cedar stump has > finally given it's life and is providing it's own compost. As I dug out the > spot for the bush, I had to return fat earthworms back in the hole with the > little bush. I can't wait until it tastes the rich soil and takes off into > growth......Life is good! > > madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler where the hummers are > straffing each other like little Red Baron's right now just outside my nook > window, where I can see English Mountain in the waining sunset, the sides of > the mountains slopes lit up and the textures evident, here in Easterh > Tennessee where it's going down to the low 50's tonight......great sleeping > weather! > >
Reply to
dkat

Yes, I did that a couple of times until I came home with bags of leaves that were filled with garbage (plastic, metal, etc.) ... I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk going through that fun again (I was not paying attention as I dumped bag after bag before looking at what I was dumping out). Until the town changed its policy and started insisting on people putting their leaves in bags I would go to the near neighbors and take all the leaves they had put on the curb, rake them onto a tarp and pull them into my yard. I loved my neighbor that was foolish enough to rake the pine needles up from under his trees and put them on the curb. When the city would do spring and fall pickups of whatever lawn matter you put on the curb people would put entire plants out. My best curbside pickup was dozens of hostas that a woman decided weren't what she wanted under her tree (she thought impatiens would look better - they couldn't compete with the tree roots and were a complete failure). Some days it amazes me what people throw out. My yard is filled with these treasures. Everything from a dozen glorious spirea to several full grown azaleas. I think these are my favorite plants because I saved them from a sure death. DKat

Reply to
dkat