Re: Need to hold back some soil....

> Our property sits in a hill. The house sits back from the street about 50 > feet and a good 10 feet higher than the street level. Right behind the > house is a 3-4 foot tall retaining wall and about 10 feet behind that begins > the hill that leads to the far back where there's an 8 foot tall retaining > wall and more hills following (mostly woods and such, owned by the city). > > At the base of the open hill (i.e., the 10 foot beyond the 3-4 foot tall > retaining wall) there was a partial retaining wall of about 2 feet in > height. It was made out of old stone and had just crumbled due to age so we > took the rest of it down. I'd like to just grade this area a bit, similar > to the other side of the yard that did NOT have a retaining wall, and plant > something interesting in it that will hold back the soil, add a little flair > and maybe some color, you know the gist. > > The area gets late morning through late afternoon sun so whatever goes there > would have to be a sun lover. We're in Zone 6. I'm looking for some tips > on grading as well -- this is my first stab at doing anything much in the > way of grading soil (well ok, clay mostly) so I'm open to suggestions. This > area borders a concrete and dirt patio space that I further intend to cover > over with a wood deck next spring. > > James

Get a professional to do the grading; it'll be worth the cost. Grading is physically arduous to do by hand; grading with a machine on a hill is not for amateurs. There are lots of hardy perennials that are good at holding soil and can give you some interesting flowers. Shasta daisy, daylily, monarda, echinacea, oenothera, lupines, and iris are all plants that I've used for this from time to time. With a nice mixed border, you could have something almost always in bloom.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens