Re: goldfinch

yes, I saw my first goldfinch this week!

> :) > Just wanted to share with some like minded gardeners! > > Love caryn > "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

We were visited by a goldfinch earlier this year but haven't seen one since. They're our state bird but, alas, are getting awfully close to extinct west of the Cascades, so to have such a visitor is a rare treat, though as a child I remember spotting them all the time.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Jutta

My husband received a mesh bag full of niger seed for Christmas. Before this, we always put the niger seed in one of those tube feeders. The goldfinches had always liked the tube feeder, and it took them about a month to decide the mesh bag might be worth trying. Now they prefer the mesh bag over the tube feeder. We've had more goldfinches in the yard this year than we've ever had (we live in Wisconsin).

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . . Christmas In Dairyland To read sample chapters and other stories:

MacTech

Kewl. We saw our last one about mid June. They usually do not return until fall (September-October) signaling thew end of our hot eather. -Olin (Near Phoenix AZ)

Reply to
omi

They live here in winter. We don't get to see them in full plume. You can see their yellow, but not a brilliantly as you when they are mating.

Reply to
animaux

Reply to
animaux

Wow, just one? I'm sorry :-( I have them all year round and have counted as many as 15 at one time on my three finch feeders.

I'm glad you got to see one though. If you put out thistle seed for them that one may tell his friends about the place to chow :-)

LeeAnne

Reply to
LeeAnne

Recently when I lived in a more urban area, I would sometimes wake to a persistent pecking at my BR window. The window appears very dark from the outside; I don't know if it was trying to get around the glass, looking for food, trying to nest or what. But I didn't really want whatever it was to make this a habit, so I went to the window to surprise the creature. It was a little goldfinch, who couldn't see me through the window, at all. I was able to study him nearly eye-to-eye, until my legs were numb from crouching. I felt so charmed, I didn't have the heart to scare him away.

Reply to
Lynne

Reply to
Jutta

Reply to
Jutta

I have only seen them here on occasion as well, but they are out there.

Last year I had a little stray sunflower from dropped birdseed growing in a windowpot on the patio. After it had gone to seed, a little male goldfinch came faithfully, every day, to nibble on it. So goldfinches must be around, to notice this little pot tucked away on my little patio. : )

bianca Long Island

Reply to
flicker

I am here on LI also! Love Caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Reply to
NAearthMOM