Question of laying flagstone

I'm going to lay a small flagstone patio. I've consulted various books, but they differ in suggested method. All recommend digging down 6 inches. However, some recommend putting in a layer of gravel before making a sand base while others just say to put in sand.

I'd appreciate advice on this matter.qrw

Reply to
robertshex

It depends on where you live. if there is no danger of frost and cold winters, then you will be fine with sand. if you live in a colder climate, without proper drainage you will get frost heaves that loosen your flagstone and wash away the sand. i live in the northeast and on every patio and walkway i've done i start with 6" of crushed stone, followed by 1" of stonedust, and after laying the flagstone or pavers, i finish with a sweep of either sand or stonedust depending on the look and color combination i am trying to get. the finishing sweep of sand needs does need to be refreshed every year though.

Reply to
ricks555

I'm not a great believer of a sand base for flagstones. I have a walkway/path of them, and the sand tended to just wash away, and the flagstones needed to be redone. I had the best luck of laying them on a bed of gypsum and fine gravel. I filled the spaces with pea gravel. They are much easier to maintain now.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

it depends on how flat you want it at all times. our flagstone "path" was installed by setting the stone down, cutting around it, picking up the sod and dropping it in, do a little digging here and there to adjust uneveness underneath ... I water deeply and then stamp on the stone until it is sitting solidly with no wiggle. watering deeply also helps the grass survive. the grass does grow up around the stones very very nicely. if they heave a bit in spring, well they settle down after the first few rains. Ingrid

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks for the advice. I have one more question, however.

The yard slopes slightly. If the bed is perfectly level, there will be a lip on the high side. Should I I measure the slope before starting and attempt to make the bed slope with the gound or is there some other method?

Reply to
robertshex

Robert- A sloped yard, will add a dimension beyond any engineering skills I have;-). . .Good Luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Reply to
<elaine_h