Post Hole Digger And Dry Farming Tomatoes This Season

You are attempting to water stress your plant in order to produce a superior taste, is that accurate?

As I said earlier, do share your results and don't let a "Shelton rant" rattle ya. However, do keep what Sheldon and David wrote in the back of your mind because you will see what they are talking about. You are digging a container in the ground which is not the best route to go for a number of reasons. Also you are not truly dry farming, you are just restricting water, which w/o a cover to control the environment is worthless. Humidity is another factor. You must consider the plant's water use efficiency and the plant physiology. I believe you should expect more BER in this experiment of yours. Personally I think your taking the wrong approach to improving tomato flavor. I am of the opinion it's not the water... it's more genetics and nutrients. But experimenting is fun and one way to learn.

I assume you have your soil test results to guide you before you start digging these container holes in the clay soil?

Reply to
Gunner

My entire garden is dug down to at least 10 to 12 inches. I use a Mantis tiller to work up the soil. The extra depth down another foot is where each plant will go. I figure it won't hurt to have nice lose soil to that depth. And yes, dry farming does produce fruit with more BER from what I understand.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

OK, good to know. I was assuming you actually meant: " I'll simply use a post hole digger and dig down about two and a half foot deep where each plant will be placed. "

Reply to
Gunner

Just curious- how did this work out? Posthole diggers /Tomatoes?

Reply to
ashley.jackson1993

Posthole diggers are for when you want to make deep but narrow holes... but doesn't loosen the soil radially for the plant roots to expand. And unless the ground was previously tilled a posthole digger can be backbreaking labor, especially if you hit a large rock and need to dig it out to continue or start over with a new hole in a different spot... by the time you dig a half dozen holes you'be be ready to quit. For tomatoes you don't need a lot of depth but you want a hole about

2' in diameter... much easier to accomplish with a garden spade... dig down about 8" and to achieve more depth mound amended soil up about 8", and put in your plants in on an angle and cover the stems to the first true leaves.. If you are going to do much planting you really need a rototiller... for a home sized garden the Mantis is more than adequate, and it's very easy to handle (an eight year old can use it), plus it will easily dig holes for planting. Once I tested a Mantis at a dealer I immediately bought one and sold my 8 HP beast. I bought this one ten years ago and it has needed no repairs... twice a year it tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden plus does other chores.
penmart01

Yer pretty tough fer such a little shit:

Casa de Masa