planting english walnuts

greetings,

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about

1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?

2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper polination? 3) at what season should we begin planting? month? 4) does anyone have a good nursery they can recommend with hardy specimens? 5) are they succeptible to any diseases? 6) how do they fare against deer? 7) we live on septic so i'm curious how far from our leach field would be considered a "safe" distance to plant these trees.

much thanks!

Reply to
matt

60-100' from trunk to trunk . . . a third of an acre is room enough for 2-3 trees

You don't have male and female trees; however, you will generally get better production if you plant trees of more than one variety, as self-fertility is often low.

October

blight; but it's rare

Just fine once they reach appreciable size; you'd need to protect them for several years

100 ft.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens