Plant Care Help

I bought a nice-looking plant for my apartment about a week ago from Home Depot. The guy in the garden department said it was a low-light plant that didn't need much water. How much light is considered "low light" isn't completely clear to me, but I have the plant in my bedroom, where it gets less-than-average exposure to daylight. The plant is about 5 feet tall, with some leaves probably stretching to 7 feet.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of plant it is, and now it looks like it's dying. I repotted the plan when I brought it home. Since then, the tips of a lot of the leaves are turning brown (dead), and some leaves have flat-out dried up and falled off.

The soil looks fairly moist (dark colored). I've probably poured 2-3 cups of water into it since I bought it. Is that not enough? Too much?

I really like this plant, but I don't know how to save it. Can anyone offer some expertise?

I took a couple digital pictures in case anyone wants to try to ID the plant (you'd be my hero). Thanks,

bosbruin

Jeff, I have no idea what your plant is but if you don't teach it to swim it will die! Lighten up on the watering and I am sure someone will tell you better care than I can.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

Your plant is a member of the genus Dracaena. Probably Dracaena marginata, based on the red outline on the leaves. It's good that you've watered it sparingly for now. It's adjusting to the light conditions in your home. It may lost leaves and look like crap for another 6 months, but it *will* adjust. Stick your finger in the soil down to your knuckles. If it feels moist at that depth, DO NOT ADD WATER. Leave it alone. But, don't let it get any dryer than that.

If you think you'll be addicted to houseplants like this, you'd be wise to invest in a copy of "Crockett's Indoor Garden", published in the 1970s. Here's a link to a great used bookstore that had copies available CHEAP:

people in this newsgroup will claim this is a useless coffee table book, but you can safely ignore those people because they are idiots.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's a great beginner book, I bought mine in the 70's when it first came out and still use it from time to time.

has them for sale from $0.75 to $2.99.

Val

Reply to
Val