Peach tree

Well shit, the yard man is a biologist again.

Reply to
D. Staples

Perhaps you are trying to explain that in your mind Fungicides are as bad as Insecticides. Technically, they are very different, Insecticides are for killing insects and fungicides are for killing fungus. If you don't want to use them, forget about combating serious fruit tree problems.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

No, but maybe he can get you an MRI.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

"symplastless" wrote in news:0fqdndSzq-bxcf_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

the trouble is, John, *you* aren't gaining any understanding. one does not 'dissect' a living tree. and a homeowner does NOT in any way, shape or form need to become a "tree biologist" in order to steward the landscaping in his or her yard. while you believe everyone should memorize Dr.Shigo's words, that is a fallacy on your part. by being so insistant that

*your* way is the only way to view a tree, you are driving more people away from reputable sources of useful information. not only that, but you bring up tree dissection & Shigo in entirely unrelated posts, like one about tomatoes. lee
Reply to
enigma

Fungicides, herbicides, pesticides and miticides are all pesticides.

Then I won't have fruit.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'm curious where you draw the line. Oxygen could be considered a pesticide if your pests are anaerobic. Water can certainly drown pests. Yet I'm pretty sure, since from your posts you appear quite sane, that you consider neither a pesticide. I'm not trying to give you grief but for you this must be a fairly serious question. We're awash in chemicals, natural and otherwise. How do you pick and choose which ones you'll allow? Or do you just never apply anything at all, ever, in the course of removing pests?

ml

Reply to
kzin

I wrote an article in a Buddhist magazine about this which I posted here weeks or months ago. I do not use any pesticides to remove pests. If you read the post you saw where I say we cannot move an inch without killing something. Ants we walk on, swatting a bug off without thinking, etc. So I'm critically aware of what you're saying and I agree with you. My intention is to NOT KILL INTENTIONALLY. It's just a simple mindful thing I do as a Buddhist. I won't swim laps in my lap pool until I first go in with a screened pool thingamagig and scoop out any insects which are struggling in the water. I look to see if they are in there and save them when I can. It's just a simple act of kindness for all beings, insect, human, snake, rat.

Reply to
Jangchub

So....I joined this group to be a part of gardening discussions. But it's actually a lecture series by Mr. Keslick, I'm realizing.

Sorry to be off topic, but I have to ask somewhere before I give up and leave the group.

Is this a common complaint? Anyone have advice?

Reply to
Jim

Yes it's a common complaint. The guy is a total nutcase that passes himself off as an arborist because he cut a tree down once while Dr. Shigo was somewhere in the area. He answers every question on this forum with the same cut and paste crap, although sometimes we get to see a real him go off the deepend as in the past couple of days.

You have two basic choices:

1) killfile him 2) take amusement in his crazy patter

Whatever you do under no circumstances take any of his advice w/o double checking it. He'll have you running around dissecting all your healthy trees.

There's no reason to leave this forum because of this guy. There are some hard core gardeners on here that have probably forgotten more about plants the Keslick ever knew.

ml

Reply to
kzin

bah, I shouldn't post in the morning. The above should read:

He answers every question on this forum with the same cut and paste crap, although sometimes we get to see him go really go off the deepend as in the past couple of days.

Reply to
kzin

Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000hsk.googlegro ups.com:

so you had to quote the whole thing just to complain about it?

yes, it's a common complaint. you can killfile Mr. Keslick, or you can simply ignore his posts. both of these things would be far easier if you get yourself a proper news server (NNTP server) instead of using google groups as your usenet access. google groupies have little room to complain about others. lee

Reply to
enigma

Please just ask. There are a lot of gardeners here who know how to garden and have plenty of suggestions. This newsgroup used to be much more fun, then it all started and it never ends.

Ignore and ask away.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

Apparently I'm now Don Staples! He asked me to kindly send him a branch of my tree so he could dissect it and determine how much water it needs. I gave him and others a rather lucid description of the rangeland conditions here in Texas and it's been on record for a hundred or more years how much water is needed for Live Oaks.

Then, the guy blew a cork!

Reply to
Jangchub

When the clear exudate turns amber look up gummosis.

Reply to
beecrofter

My Redhaven is 17 years old. It has given off amber exudate for several years now. However, it continues to thrive and produce lots of peaches. I don't think gummosis is the cause of his lack of fruit.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu