Papaya problems

I have about 6 papaya plants each approx one year of age in my yard in hawaii. They did fine fruiting rather profusely this April/may till now, but the fruit prodcuction is now way down: the new fruits drop after they are about 1-2 inch size and the leaves too are falling early. The leaves turn brown, but I cant find any disease on the new fruits or leaves. The full grown papayas skin is quite wrinkly however and pitted slightly like the skin of sommeone with old acne of severe type. I wonder if I need more or less water, more or less fertilizer or if this is disease and how to find out? Thanks!

Reply to
derauf

Hawaii has had a huge problem with disease and papaya. You may want to call your local Extension and ask the horticulturist about it. It's taking out entire groves. I believe the pathogen is viral in nature.

Reply to
Jangchub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo