OT/ Mycorrhizal Fungus Isolation

I would like to know - how can I create my own mycorrrhizal (root fungus) concentrate or isolate?

Also, how specific are they to specific plants or soils?

Eco

Reply to
Eco

Not an easy question...what plant(s) are you wanting to do this for??

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Sorry for being ignorant, but does that matter? I mean, aren't there generically "good" micorrhizal fungi? What is the procedure?

Eco

Reply to
Eco

It matters because not all plants use mycorrhizae fungi to assimilate nutrients and water from soil. It's basically host specific and a variety of different fungal threads usually act in unison to help plants which normally have trouble with their poor root systems. Blueberries and roses are just one example of two plants, same family, which have poor root systems.

Reply to
escape

Exactly...and to carry your example forward things in the blue berry family (Ericaceae) have mycorrhizae that are notoriously specific, obligate, and difficult to culture. But if the OP is looking for a generalist, feel-good addition to the plant or soil matrix, opt for the old standard - Pisolithus tinctorius. My view of this, however, is that plants generally are already colonized by such fungi and the addition to existing plants may be unnecessary.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Sadly, fungal threads are murdered by the vast array of herbicides being used today. Oh well...one day the planet will be void again and can start over. Maybe man will never evolve again and at least this planet will be healthy. Of course this is my most irrational view :)

escape