OT: is everyone in the black out region back up and running and all right??

post header says it all, but is everyone up in the region that got hit by the black out back up and running and all right? I hope everyone is safe and sound and just overheated. Hopefully things will be back to "normal" soon. We take modern conveniences waaaaaay too much forgranted nowdays. Ya'll need to remember basic "old timey" things......keep containers of fresh water stored, and containers of water in places so you can wash and flush. Flashlights, candles, a small grill with charcoal and matches matches matches in ziploc baggies, if you don't have the luxury of gas stoves. (I don't, I am stuck with electric, and I have a well, so when our power goes out for extended times like during snow or whenever the squirrel farts, there is no water to cook with, flush with, drink as well as no lights) a can opener, maybe a portable radio with good batteries for back up to see what the heck's going on, unless in this case the radio stations are down too.............. We all need to remember that there is only enough groceries on store shelves for three days. If things were gridlocked like they are in New York City and it lasted longer than it appears it will last, things would get nasty really fast. How well do you think people would handle this if they were stuck for weeks going into months like Bagdad? (I ain't soap boxing here, we take our modern conveniences forgranted) Think of this, we had a power outage a few weeks ago county wide for just two hours. As I drove past the grocery store where everyone was fueling up at the cheaper pumps, everyone was sitting there impatient and frustrated because ALL the power was off everywhere and they couldn't leave because they were caught in the middle of putting gasoline in their vehicles. If we lose electricity on long term we can't pump our fuel, run pumps or operate generators if we can't get the fuel to power them. All those freezers start thawing immediately and the food we so carefully horde for leaner times or being frugal starts to thaw. And if we can't cook it to save it, it's a loss.

I've actually thought of that because in winter when we lose power, I could just put the frozen food outside until the power came on, but during summer I'd be screwed. Too many of us have come back from vacation to find the fridge or freezer went out and everything is ruined. Just a little survival put by is all we need to get us thru short times. We can't all save and scrounge and put by enough to get us thru longer periods of inconvenience. It's times like this that I really appreciate that I live here. But seeing this type of diasaster reminds me things can go wrong quickly without warning.

I ain't a worry wart, but since 9-11 we woke up, but I fear we've started to become complacent, luckily it DID wake us up and I think during times of chaos and disaster like yesterday, it draws people closer together and makes them more co-operative. But if this were to take WEEKS instead of just a few days, we'd be seeing rioting, looting and violence because of the dependence we have on the groceries and conveniences.

Just my take on it all. I hope everyone is safe and sound and things get back to normal soon. My good thoughts are with you all........ madgardener up on the ridge in Eastern Tennessee where power outs are common (we still don't have a back up generator! )

Reply to
madgardener

I'm from WNY (South Buffalo area) and it was out for 8.5 hrs. From approx

5:30pm to 1:50am. Nothing major happened. Kept the fridge doors shut and nothing went bad. There were some ppl that had electricity but it was just a small minority. Cooked dinner on the grill and had about 19 candles going after it got dark. (GF collects candles, lucky us !:^) ) There was a 20 car pile-up a couple of towns over from our way. We didn't bother driving around cause it wasn't neccessary and we were applying a little common sense. Still no solid news as to what caused this. Been through like 4 or so explanations that have all since been shot down or unrealistic. Case in point: a Canadian authority blamed it on a lightnining strike at a Niagara Falls powerplant. A little catch though, blue skies at the time of the power outtage and the closest confirmed strike by the weather network at the time was in Chicago. We'll find out sooner or later I guess

BLueCoBra

- "In those cool shades, those sunny paths, My heart forgets her (his) care. Though weak my faith, though crushed my hope, They'll bud and blossom there. Should sorrow darken all my path, and cloud my future years. The sunshine in my garden will Make rainbows of my tears." - Mary Clark Thompson

Reply to
BLueCoBra

Well, you guys *have* been having some pretty wild weather down there lately! I'm in Toronto, and I've had power since 4:45 am, but there are parts of the city that are still out (it's 8:35 pm Saturday). Things were surprisingly calm here last night, some kind-hearted pedestrians were directing traffic at busy intersections, nobody was losing their cool. We sat in the backyard and watched the shooting stars...it was just like an evening at the cottage! Barbecued up the chicken in the freezer, had the two cold beers in the fridge. Does it get any better than that?

Toni

Reply to
Toni from T.O.

OMG!! I've been looking for a time machine just like this all of my life!! Where did you get it from? cool. LOL jk

Last I heard was that NYC was literally half powered and half off. Not really staying up to date as it wasn't anything dangerous to anyone. *at least as far as I can tell*

BLueCoBra

Reply to
BLueCoBra

Mine came back at 11:55pm, about 45 minutes after I dropped off to sleep. Not bad. We VERY rarely lose power for more than 2 seconds here in the Hudson Valley of N.Y. They've got really good at keeping the power up over the years.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy

I can't help but think that somewhere out there, there is some poor sod who had just bought a new electric appliance, brought it home and plugged it in.... flipped the switch and Bingo off went the power all over, (and they cant help wondering "Was it me?") and when they have power back they are going to be nervous about trying it again.

-- David Hill Abacus nurseries

David Hill

Well, Mad, we never lost power -- Syracuse to the east, Rochester to the west, Irondequoit and Webster to the north were all blacked out; but ours just kept humming along . . . we're an anomalous little blip that doesn't belong to the Niagara-Mowhawk grid. So, what we got, instead, was half a dozen friends, and their families, who didn't have AC and were quietly melting into little puddles for an overnighter. Party Time! Here, you go fire up the grill, you go harvest a salad out of the garden, you go strip the zucchini vines, you go pick the peaches. BBQ chicken, broiled zucchini, big salad, peach ice cream . . . yummers! [Although I'd forgotten how a roomful of giggling teenage girls who are supposed to be sleeping can drive one to distraction. :)] Showers the next morning were kind-of interesting, too . . . thank God for the never-runs-out hot water heater!

Oh, and I can STRONGLY recommend investing in a back-up generator. We lost power for a week during the ice-storm last winter. With the generator, we didn't freeze to death; and the total cost of the generator was one heck of a lot less than hotels and boarding for two people and seven critters for a week!

Chris Owens

madgardener wrote:

Reply to
Chris Owens

The power was out for just over 26 hours. The food in the freezer was OK (we never opened it). We kept the house closed up and it stayed cool inside. (We just had low-e windows and insulated siding installed.)

I was away from home with a gas tank almost empty. Waited nearly two hours for traffic to clear enough to have a good shot at making it to a freeway and home without delay. The trip home was actually shorter than it normally would be, 15 minutes vs. 30 minute (I had beenplanning to stop at the store on the way home to buy milk, as I hadn't had time to do it earlier. Turns out to have been ood thing I didn't, as the milk would have spoiled.)

We still had water coming out of the tap (and we boiled it on the side-burner of the gas grill -- water emergency/boil water advisories in effect). We didn't cook anything yesterday, mostly cleared out stuff from the fridge (like yogurt) that was still ok to eat.

I'm running the AC this morning, but will probably turn it off again once the inside has cooled down a bit. (We are being asked to cut back on electrical use.) We cut back on water use yesterday as the water and sewage system was effected by the blackout. (Our compost pile got some 'extra value' watering.)

Didn't do any gardening (way to humid, with very heavy downpours). Got some reading done, though.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

it's so good to see you're back, Chris. I missed yer "face" honey. Glad to know you escaped relatively unscathed except for some frazzled nerves cos' of the girls.... home made peach ice cream, torture me why don't you?? Glad to know things weren't bad up your way. Holler sometime if you'd like to see some pictures of my madness. When Squire was going to invest in extra aquariums for raising angel fish, I told him I wanted to upgrade my digital camera and for $30 more I got a nice little Canon that lets me get right up in the flower's faces and even catch unsuspecting fairies and frogs and such!! madgardener up on the sticky, humid, hot, and August feeling ridge, where we had MORE rain and thunderstorms today, overlooking hazy and blue English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

Glad you put up the post madgardener. Been thinking of you people since I heard the news. Great to hear that your all ok. Been a summer most of us won't forget soon. If some of us were near drowning, others were near burning and baking, still others were left in the dark(pun intended). Still chuckling over David Hills post!

Reply to
J. Lane

Oops! Too bad it only works ahead!! :-)

Reply to