OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

Well I did live in the ne Ohio snow belt for 20 years, so I did get acquainted with shoveling snow, scraping ice, dead batteries, walking in a blizzard, and 20 pairs of identical black "galoshes" with no names all sitting in the hallway dripping snow melt! :^>

We had about 3 snow days built in the school calendar, and if we went over those 3, then days were added on in June. I was not a bit sad when it came time to move back to California..... now I can drive 30 miles and play in the snow and come back to dry. Emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:04:05 GMT, Cheryl Isaak >>>>> Lol. Schools are closed in New England because its cold in the winter.

Kids weren't dressed properly, don't they teach that in school? Some common sense classes may be in order:)

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com expounded:

I see your smiley, but.......that is really the parents' responsibility, dontcha think? Then again, I think some parents missed those classes!

Reply to
Ann

I see the parents as being at fault there. Let the kid go out in shorts and its -10 and 35 mph winds; not even transfusions of common sense would work there.

Letters did go home on proper dress for winter did go home at least once this year, three times for the kindergarten. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

There are worse places than Ohio in the winter, but I'm happy you are enjoying your California home and weather. To be honest, I prefer a four season climate with occasional snow in the winter that melts in a couple of days. Our winters gives me a period that I can stay out of the yard and think about what I want to plant in spring. We did have a couple of unusually warm days about a week ago (upper 60's) that drove me to clean out winter weeds from perennial beds. Today we had a high of 42, which allowed me time to sit in the sunroom and work on seed orders without feeling guilty about neglecting something outside. :)

John

Reply to
B & J

Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. I subbed in the school where I taught for a few years after I retired, but after we moved to our new location that ended. After thirty-five years in the classroom, I found the last ten years far less pleasurable than the first twenty-five. This latter period was when students gained court ordered rights, which meant keeping students in my class no matter how disruptive they were, and cutbacks in school funding increased class sizes (35-40). The things that kept me going were the many great kids with which I worked and the fact that I was never bored. I guarantee that it wasn't the salary!

That definitely is a parental responsibility, and often it's the parents and the kids who have not clue, particularly in the lower grades. Vanity does cause frost bite to some kids, particularly junior/senior high girls.

John

Reply to
B & J

Ah - the entire reason I never chased that Masters in education, the pay would be ok, but the powerlessness to discipline would have driven me nuts.

Amen to that. I heard through the grapevine someone had frostbite on her belly and the piercing there was affected. (man the things that go flying through town!)

Now - how the parents can have no clue when multiple letters come home via backpack express and it's on the news and in the paper, it completely beyond me! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Where did you teach? And what level? A friend in Nevada teaches 3rd grade and says her normal class size is 20-22; this year, due to transfers, she's down to 16. I swear I remember 28-32 from my (long ago) public school education.

Reply to
Frogleg

I had thought that since last winter was so cold and we never got a real break from the snow that this year it would be different. So far I have been wrong. How in the world can Long Island have 30 below freezing with the wind factor? It is LONG ISLAND ZONE 7a! Doesn't it know that!!!

Deep breath... let it out slowly.... Sorry, I'm from CA and just got back from seeing my family. My Mother felt inclined to rub it in saying "I'm told you couldn't do without your seasons back there!" (she is a nasty witch some times... I mean that literally. The woman took all my money in "Spite and Malaise"... Given that I shuffled and dealt I know she didn't stack the decks so it had to be witchcraft....

Can you tell that I'm suffering from cabin fever? Last time it was like this I went out and bought a house. I wonder what is on the markets these days....

Is it Spring yet?

DKat

Reply to
D Kat

It's not the schools - it is the parents. You have to have training and get a licence for just about everything except for what is most important to our society - being a parent. I was appalled a couple of years ago to see a young girl (at most 7 years old), standing outside in sub freezing weather waiting for the bus wearing a short skirt with light tights and shaking with the cold. The mother was watching warmly from inside the house. They had recently moved in next door and had lived in Florida. What do you do at moments like that? Pull over (was driving to work) and say "this isn't Florida and your child needs winter clothing you idiot"? DKat

Reply to
D Kat

Where in Nevada? Las Vegas has a great deal of money and the rest of the state is very rural where class sizes are still small. Most of the U.S. has serious problems right now with class size. My son a couple of years ago had his home room in a closet. Literally - no joke. Most classes now have

30-40 students in them. What we are expecting out of our teachers is criminal. It doesn't help at all that the W education bill on manditory testing requires schools to spend $500/student when they are only given ~$90/student. This has meant our already very high property taxes have to be raise and many of the things our students previously had have been cut. It is well known that a 2nd language must be taught before the age of 12, that music taught at an early age helps develop the brain to enable it to do higher math later on, that the best thing you can do for a childs education is to keep classes below 12 children/teacher. These are the first things to go now. It is such a crying shame. I have never seen such irresponsible spending by any Federal administration in my lifetime and I'm 55.
Reply to
D Kat

Precisely why schools need to teach things like this. There are classes on having a baby, but after that parents are on their own. If they didn't learn something from their parents, or haven't learned it on their own, how are they going to pass it on to their kids? I agree that parents should teach their kids, but they can't teach them something they don't know.

This also gets to a discussion on what's the purpose of a school and an education. If its just to study academic courses (read'n rit'n 'n rithmetic) then it doesn't belong. However, I've heard that the point of a school is to prepare kids for life. In that case, teaching kids how to prepare for a bitterly cold day in New England is in scope. A lot more useful and practical then memorizing what year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

snip

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

Elko. Small, but not a one-school town.

Reply to
Frogleg

I sure would have been tempted to stop! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Yep, you are absolutely right - I lost sight of that in my rant. I wasn't thinking in terms of parenting classes. I was thinking in terms of the schools teaching children how they should dress... I don't see dressing taught as a class (well it could be part of the health class) but any teacher who notices a child that is not dressed for the weather should certainly investigate and deal with the cause (not enough money to buy close, parents don't have a clue, etc.)

I'm a very strong believer that parenting classes be required in schools and that there is head start for those children that come from disadvantaged homes starting at as early of age as possible. The formative years are from birth to 4 years of age and by the time schools get some kids it is too late for them to ever catch up. I had a friend who was doing research in the city and had mothers in with their babies from different areas of the city. One young mother who obviously cared about her baby enough to be involved in the study noticed another mother talking and interacting with her baby. Later this mother asked the researcher if she was supposed to be talking to her baby. Kids having kids think their babies are dolls that you just put a bottle in their mouth, change them when necessary and that is it. They aren't "bad" parents. They just don't have a clue and we are so isolated from one another in society now that there is no one there to show them.

People are so penny wise and pound foolish. They don't want to spend pennies to make sure children are educated properly and then they spend the pounds to build prisons and cover the cost of crime.

DKat

Reply to
D Kat

that's a cop out response from someone not in the receiving section of the store. Someone just didn't order enough to anticipate the supply and demand factor, or enough wasn't shipped out.

Makes me think of all the poinsettia's we got at our Lowe's and the demand wasn't great enough from what corporate thought we needed for the holiday. On the other end of that, though, another Lowes in west Knoxville had to order 750 MORE plants than what they'd gotten in because the demand exceeded what was anticipated.

LOL, amazing to think how much we all depend on for daily conveniences from the trucking industry and people sitting around a table deciding how much of what we need........life just ain't simple, is it?

and speaking of Baby it's cold outside..........tonight, coupled with the moisture we have from the fogs and rains before the cold front, the temperatures are going to the teens with wind chills of sub-zero. If ever I needed to have mulched that Mexican sage I bought from Reba, it would have been tonight, if I had any mulch or leaves to do so with. I only hope that it being in a raised bed and on the south side of the house helps any.................. madgardener glad for the warm waterbed, two dawgs and three of the six cats who snuggle with me while Squire is gone.....................

Reply to
madgardener

I'm not so sure. I mean, I'm sure "enough wasn't shipped out," but not that a local store's personnel are responsible. Salty's experience is similar to mine and others'. Corporate ads are inserted into local papers, but local stores have neither input nor any way of controlling supply. Poor sods. *They* have to deal with disappointed and angry customers. And write up 'rain checks' for stuff that's *never* going to show up. Power without responsibility is usually unpleasant; responsibility without power is humiliating.

Reply to
Frogleg