Newbie shrub / gardening advice

Hi there,

I have recently moved into a house with a front and back garden. I have never had a garden before so am hunting down some advice.

First of all, I have a low shrub at the front of the house. The shrub however does it run the full length. There is a gap at the end of the shrubs. I think something has gone wrong when the previous owners had planted it.

The picture shows what I mean:

To the right of the picture are the shrubs (with dark green leaves) that run along for about 3 metres or so. Then there is the gap on the left side of the picture - the area under the plant with the lighter green leaves.

My question is, how can "extend" the shrub so that it fills the gap? Can I purchase more shrub plants and just plant them where the gap is?

I also have no idea what species the shrub is. I have taken a close-up picture hoping that somebody might be able to identify it. I want to know the species in case I need to buy some more and also I would like to know how tall the shrub will grow.

The close-up picture of the shrub leaves:

Another unrelated question I have is that I have a lot of this straw-like stuff growing in various parts of the garden. Can someone enlighten me as to what this is?

Picture:

've assumed it is some sort of weed? I've been removing them as most of it as it very easy to pull out.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Twigg

Reply to
twigg

be to take leaves from the shrub(s) to a plant nursery for I.D. Maybe the= geniuses on this NG (which definitely excludes moi!) could ID them from th= e pix, but just for safety's sake, I'd also try the nursery.

The "straw-like" stuff you posted looks like flax. There many kinds of fla= x, and again your nursery could ID it.

Good luck.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson