New to California

Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having largely completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the garden. Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by mosquitoes (or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

TIA

Den

PS: Now I understand why the windows have screens!

Reply to
Den

What part of California? Our climates vary from alpine, through Mediterranean and near-tropical, to desert.

Reply to
David Ross

LOLOL I can't imagine summer without mosquitoes. I like using citronella candles, they can help and create a nice atmosphere as well. There are citronella plants as well, lemon geraniums, and believe it or not......Avon Skin So Soft.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa

Err ... Los Angeles.

Den

We live in Southern California and find that the region is remakrably free of mosquitoes. In visiting other parts of the country I am usually eaten alive. Here, I can wonder around in the evenings and almost never encounter a mosquito. It must be that the particular location where you live has lots of standing water. The dry climate of California usually provides very few natural places for breeding.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

citronella

There are

not......Avon

Gaaack! I play volleyball with someone that uses citronella bug repellant. The stuff smells so bad I feel like gagging.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

First of all, let me give you the official California greeting, "Welcome to California, now go home!"

Bug zappers work reasonably well, although the sound of the bugs getting burnt a little squeamish. So if you intend to use one, keep it a little further away from where you typically sit. Citronella candles don't work too well, unless the weather is calm.

Anyways the mosquito season is just about over, the smaller creeks, and storm drains are all starting to dry out. Check your property for any buckets or pots that has any water in them, even an centimeter or two, is enough. If you have a bird feeder, be sure to empty it every few days and replace it with fresh water.

Reply to
Snooze

After this week's extreme heat and extremely low humidity, I think the problem will soon be gone. Although mosquitos are occasionally annoying in southern California, they are not a serious problem unless you live adjacent to a persistent wetland or some other breeding area (e.g., ornamental pond without fish).

Reply to
David Ross

Get the _Western_Garden_Book_ published by Sunset. Figure out what microclimate you are in -- the exact growing conditions can vary greatly in the distance of just a few miles. The greater LA map has 10 different climates listed. Climate varies by distance to the ocean, canyons, and altitude.

Drip irrigation is very important to conserve water.

If you have mosquitos, eliminate all standing water. West Nile virus has been detected in southern California.

-matt

Reply to
Batt Meals