Need Peach Recommendation

My winters have occasional night-time frosts but are otherwise mild. I would like a recommendation for a peach suitable for my garden. I want a freestone peach that is good for both eating fresh and cooking.

Peach trees are not long-lived. I just today had a 'Ventura' peach removed because it was well past its prime and no longer grew with any vigor; I had it some 15-20 years. Before that, I had a 'Golden Blush' for about 15 years.

I preferred the 'Golden Blush' but could not find it when the first tree had to be removed. 'Ventura' is okay, but I did not see it in any nursery at the beginning of this year, when bare-root fruit trees were available.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I tied to remember a name but failed. This site is real close and perhaps a gander.

Bill who putters

The varieties with "Haven" in the name were bred right near here where I live - and we have some murderous winter weather. There are many: Hale Haven, Red Haven, etc. Red Haven is frequently recommended for home gardens.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

We like fragar I don't know if it is available where you are.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott