Natural Insect Repellants

I have heard about the milky spore product but I also heard that you need neighbors who will cooperate and use it also because the beatles do fly and they will just migrate in from nearby. Also the beatles I have eat very healthy plants - roses and young grape shoots - in addition to other things.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:48:32 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

It may be beneficial for you to invest in some Remay fabric to shelter your grape plants till the June bugs are gone. Also, spraying with pepper spray may be useful. Take two or three habernero peppers in a blender with about two cups of water and an entire bulb of garlic. Blend it, strain out the solids. Take the remaining concentrate and put it into and empty gallon jug and fill with water. Use one cup per gallon of spray, but make perfectly sure you strain out all solids or your sprayer nozzle will clog. I use cheesecloth, or I should say I used to use it. Now I am tolerant of insects or animals chewing on things. I don't have a vinyard so I do understand why you'd like your grapes to remain well.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

You are also wrong

The active chemical occurs in several members of the compositae family, including, chrysanthemum and marigold. See

is much too long to reproduce here, but here's a snippet

"Industrially, pyrethrum extracts are obtained by extraction of dried pyrethrum flowers with hexane followed by dewaxing and decolorization to yield a mixture containing approximately 20% pyrethrins and 80% inert plant materials or solvents. This technical extract is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and is a standard item of commerce used for formulating numerous end products. Flower production is centered in Kenya and surrounding countries, with some production being attempted in Tasmania and New Guinea. While pyrethrum flowers are not grown commercially in the United States, some of the Compositae (daisies, marigolds, etc.) in U.S. gardens probably produce these compounds. There has been an effort to cultivate C. cinerariaefolium in Oregon and Arizona but this is not yet a viable commercial source. "

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah, is pride fun, too?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

Nobody said they were the same. I said, they are in the same plant family (compositae). A simple search will show you that/

Marigolds contain the same insecticidal compounds as chrysanthemum

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

This sounds like a good thing to try if one had just a few vines but I have over 100 vines. Getting rid of the Japanese beatles is important since they eat the tips of shoots and very young leaves. It just so happens that these are the leaves that are producing most of the photosynthesis at the time of year when the beatles are active.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

All this says is that no form of Tagetes has been formulated as a viable source, so you, me, nobody anywhere has ever used any form of Tagetes to kill insects. Pyrethrum FLOWERS is where the compound is found, not the leaves. Your post proves it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Janet, you said the pesticide was in the leaves and something to the effect of smellier the better or some such thing.

Reply to
Jangchub

Yes, and marigolds are used as companion plants with tomatoes, and they do not contain pyrethrum. The main point is that they deter certain insects that like tomatoe plants. Marigolds are not an insecticide. They are a deterrent.

dancing in my mind, gloria in hemlock hollow (only the iguanas know for sure)

Reply to
gldancer

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

While pyrethrum flowers are not

No, it doesn't say that, you've misread. Try reading it again.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Oy, there is ONE marigold which can control or help to control root knot nematodes. Otherwise, they are useless. You'd be much better off planting garlic or basil with tomatoes.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub expounded:

Second response in this thread.

Reply to
Ann

Ann, Janet said the pesticidal properties were in the leaves of the marigold, which she said was pyrethrum. That is not true, and inaccurate. It is not a common marigold which produces the pesticide pyrethrum, but the mum and the pesticide is in the flowers not stems of foliage.

Jangchub

Jangchub expounded:

Yea, V, I saw that further down the thread. I've always known pyrethrum to be derived from mums, also. A google search does not turn up any mentions of marigolds producing pyrethrins at all.

Reply to
Ann

After I typed it I figured you didn't finish reading the whole thread. No worries.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Ann contains these words:

I gave the link, twice :-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Regardless, Janet. The pesticide pyrethrum comes from the flower not the foliage and smell has absolutely nothing to do with its insecticidal properties in that it kills insects indiscriminately. Kill is kill. I don't kill knowingly. And no, I don't eat meat either.

Reply to
Jangchub

The plants themselves don't "kill", only a concentrated extract does. The plants make themselves unattractive to insects by producing it. I have feverfew in my garden and it has similar properties, it is fun to see bees bend their flight path to stay away from its flowers.

Paulo

Reply to
Paulo da Costa

No, the flowers are crushed up and ground into powder and the entire flower is the pyrethrum which is not only poison to insects, but to most mammals, amphibians, and reptiles including birds (descendants of reptiles).

Reply to
Jangchub