My day in the garden Or the newest don't try this at home

Well, yesterday being the first really nice day since last fall, I got serious in the garden. After, that is, taking care of a chore left from the water in basement from the rain last week.

So, DD and I rinsed out the shop vac and left it to dry and grabbed the electric hedge trimmer to cut back the big grasses. Works a treat every time and I bless the husband for the extra long extension cord. I then turn my attention to a juniper I've allowed to get out of hand and too close to the house. It is 15 years old and quite slow and dense growing. And the needles are very sharp and never really fall off. Hey - the shop vac could deal with those needles and I can see where to prune. Grab the vac and lay the hose down and hit the switch. It doesn't seem to be doing a thing. Thing worked great on the hard floor, but doesn't seem to want to pick up the needles. Sigh. There are a few bits in the tank, but not worth the effort. So I go to clean up the shop vac one more time and let it dry.

What's with the hose - it weighs a TON. I look in and there is a wad of needles. GREAT, how am I going to get them out. I try blasting them out with a hose. I can't find anything quite long enough to poke them out from "behind". Nothing works

So, with a 6 foot garden stake, pointy end down the hose, I stand on the retaining wall with the hose and shake, rattle and roll and finally, many minutes later, out pops a dense little cylinder of needles - 8 inches long. OK - clean up again, dispose of all the branches to the woodpile and try some where else in the garden. After all, there is LOTS of garden to clean up even ignoring the spots that still squish. And I don't want to look at the juniper again for a few days.

So, off to the long bed with lots of easy work to do. I easily fill up my three big collapsible barrels three or four times with leaves and such. I've gotten the iris bed done, the bed just down the hill from it, the upper section of the long bed and started the bed with my crab apple in it. Good progress and I've had a few water breaks and pbj rollup. Sitting on the deck with a book is a good break too.

SO, phone rings, DH after dropping DS off at a friend's house, has gone off to hang with one of his buddies. DD is playing next door. COOL, maybe the boys are staying north. NO - we've been invited to visit with DS's buddy's folks (nice people) and bring DD to play with their DD. OK - get DD home, shove her in a shower and put the tools away. My turn for the shower. Look at the condition of my knees and hands - time for the heavy hitters in the shower. Grab my salt scrub and lather it onto my arms.

OH - PAIN, ouch, ouch. The juniper (remember the juniper) has left its usual gift of million of little cuts.... Salt - open cuts, WHAT WAS I THINKING!

Thank goodness for beer......

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Achy-waa-waa! I can feel that from here! :o) Sounds like the day I did battle with those damned multiflora roses from hell......my legs looked like I'd gone through a meat grinder. Felt like it, too :o(

Reply to
Ann

And over here we have July and a spectacular looking garden and a gorgeous display of roses. Bravo. It looks so natural.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

William Rose expounded:

You have a glorious display of multiflora roses? You have an odd taste in roses!

You do realize those are the invasive nondescript small white flowered type that take over fields and trees. They should be removed and destroyed before they make more of a mess somewhere else.

Reply to
Ann

Personally, I think the juniper might be worse then the rose. I've battled both, but the you can see where to place the pruners with the rose.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hmmm. How do I get out of this one? OK. My bad. Strike the "gorgeous display of multiflora roses" and we're back in business. You still have the spectacular looking garden. K? Or was this a pasture you were thinning out? Look on the brighter side. With a pot of boiling water, you can at least make yourself a nice tisane of rose hips to sip on while you are getting sliced an' diced:-) The flowers certainly look respectable enough.

Around here the vegetative equivalent would be brambles. I finally cleared all mine out. Now I have to sneak into the horse pasture to pick my blackberries:-( I have it on good authority, that they taste better that way.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Not to quibble, Cheryl, but have you ever tangled with a 30' diameter,

15' tall multiflora rose that's twining itself into a maple tree? The upper branches were at least 30' long crawling up through the foliage. Trust me, you may be able to see where to put the pruner, but you have no idea where the branch is going to whip you as it comes down :o(
Reply to
Ann

Ok - I've only tackled much smaller ones.:( Shall I pass the salt scrub?

And the never ending supply of blackberries/brambles. Tasty berries, but hell on you the rest of the time. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Absolutely! I'll share your pain :o)

Reply to
Ann

Okay, so call me a dumbo, but today I gardened hard, made sure I got on my knee with all my body weight several times on concrete, and jiggled my knee around a lot so when I get my MRI tomorrow morning it will be at its worst. I cannot believe moderate arthritis is causing this excruciating pain.

My miniscus is torn, and I think now a hunk tore off completely and is rattling around in there, catching on my joint now and then as I wince with pain. If this is only arthritis, I have much more respect for people with rheumatoid...this is only osteo.

Feh. v

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub expounded:

That sucks, V, but keep in mind, osteo can be extremely painful. My father had it in his spine (he also had degenerative hip disease with two hip replacements). He wouldn't rest, he kept moving, because he knew if he didn't he'd seize up like a rusty hinge.

Will they do orthoscopic surgery to fix the miniscus?

Reply to
Ann

Ouch! I may now paying (on completion of job only) my 14 year old son for the heavy work.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I am so worried this is something which I will be forced to live with. How can osteoarthritis be so painful? This is like a hot knife being jabbed into my knee.

If they do surgery I will not let them open my leg, they either do arthroscopic or not at all and I find another physician who will. I won't find out results till next week.

I'm going out now to garden. If I have to learn to live with pain, so be it. We shall find out.

Jangchub

Actually, I paid two women from the garden club ten dollars an hour, cash, to weed last year. They did an okay job, but didn't pull out the root so everything doubled in weeks. Mark will do the digging out of the ornamental grasses. I can't keep up with those any more. The dwarf fountain grass reseeds like a maniac. I probably should save a few plants and make dozens of gallons of it to sell the the garden centers. One plant would make 50 divisions and I have at least 50 full grown plants. The other grass Mark dug out for me over the weekend is the eastern gamma grass. Holy cow does that reseed, and it's big and thick and sharp and meaty.

Ann, how much longer should I wait to send you the brug and datura? Pretty soon it will be very hot here. They will survive several weeks inside in a sunny window. Want some fountain grass! Hahahaha.

Jangchub

Jangchub expounded:

It should be safe now, V. I'm home to get the mail usually, so even if it's a bit chilly they'll get inside quickly. Thanx!

Reply to
Ann

Okay, I'll pack em up and send them. I'll email when they're sent.

Jangchub

Yes they do do athroscopic surgery for a torn miniscus. I had that several years ago and just had a total knee replacement 2 years ago. Much better and no pain at all now.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

The miniscus surgery kept your pain down for two years? I am wondering if knee replacement should just happen in lieu of the fact that I am getting older and would heal better if I do that at a younger age.

I guess first I have to see the whole picture, and on Wednesday I see the MRI results.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

Misspelled limp. Sorry.