More ground hogs

This makes five caught this summer...Two in July and three in August. Unfortunately, the banks of the river was no place to let go this one yesterday, as a result of Irene's wrath, so relocated it to a pond a couple miles away (under cover of darkness).

oparr

Frank

One of my neighbors knows a friend in PA who eats them. I'm not that curious.

Reply to
oparr

Live in Puxatawny?

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Actually, they taste like squirrel which tastes nothing like chicken.

I wouldn't count on a couple of miles away being far enough to prevent a return. A busy highway in between might improve your chances. Realistically, if you have property which is attractive habitat for one groundhog then it will be equally attractive to others and nothing non-lethal is likely to keep you hog-free for long.

My stepfather had a persistent and very fat specimen which lived on/in a bank next to his garden. Dave took potshots at it with a .22 rifle loaded with shorts from up at the house 75 yards away (noise issues even in the country) but never seemed to do much beyond chasing it back into the burrow and keeping it out of sight for a few days but it always returned. This is amazing since Dave had been a shooter on the Navy rifle team for years after the war and he was still a dead shot. After a few years of this he finally did get a killing shot (slowed groundhog reflexes?) and when he examined the huge beast he found that over the years he had not been missing -- it had signs of multiple wounds in the abdomen but the .22 short bullets had done no more than inconvenience it and keep it out of sight for a short time.

Reply to
John McGaw

None has returned so far. Trust me on that. However, like humans, they do leave an easy to follow memory trail in the wake of endeavors. Fortunately in this case, a dangling carrot fades or erases the pitfalls and traps.

Reply to
oparr

C'est la vie!

Reply to
oparr

Years ago it was near Punxsutawney when I shot a young ground hog while bow hunting for deer and I did eat it. Not exactly like chicken but pretty close. It was tougher and gamier.

Reply to
Frank