Mexican Evening Primrose

I've several clusters of these growing in my back yard (this is my first year with them) that I planted in spring. They have bloomed beautifully (pink flowers) and looked real hearty but now look like they are dying. Knowing little about them, is this typical for them to die back at this time of year?

We've had 8 days this month at 100º or better if that makes any difference and I've watered them well daily. At the same time as the high temps hit and the plants took a dive, I've also noted hundreds of small flying beetles(?), a bit smaller than a ladybug but the same shape, black in color with iridescent green color on their wings infesting the 2 small areas where the primroses are. Perhaps its the bugs and not the heat thats killing them, again, provided they should not be dying yet.

Anyone have any experience with these beautiful flowers that can assist? TIA

Albuquerque, Zone 7

Reply to
John DeBoo

You're likely growing Oenothera speciosa (Showy Evening Primrose), native to Mexico and the southwestern U.S., a very pretty but highly invasive plant. It blooms for a fairly long period (spring to midsummer), with occasional rebloom. About this time, though, it fades and looks rather sparse, particularly if the weather has been hot. The leaves may even turn reddish. (I can't speak for your area, where the plants are native, but they don't seem to be bothered by pests here.)

Here's how I handle mine, now in their fourth year: I cut the plants back to a few inches above ground to a) remove all the sneaky seed pods, and b) encourage a flush of new foliage and some slightly possible rebloom. But what I also do is pull out at least half of the clumps a few stems at a time so I can keep it somewhat under control. In its place I plant some blooming annuals that carry on for the rest of the growing season (e.g., pink Cosmos 'Sonata' fills that duty nicely). Don't worry about next year......there'll be lots more of it coming back. You will be amazed at how much more.......!

Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7

Reply to
Tyra Trevellyn

Here in St. Louis zone 5/6 mine stopped blooming around the 4th of July. This is my second year for them and they came back very nicely, robust with plenty of spread with no pests. I keep them contained somewhat around my gaslight. As I only plant drought resistant plants, God provided the only water. The leaves and stems are now green and red. To the same area this Spring I added Limerick coreopsis and planted morning glory seeds which both are filling in nicely. Next year your primrose should fill in nicely, as did mine.

Maggie from steamy St. Lou

Reply to
Maggie4185