looking for carefree color

at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that are just beautiful. the entrance could use some color however and i would like to put some bushes of some sort out there.

roses that don't rot? and bloom forever? :)

any suggestions?

rosie the VERY lazy gardener

Reply to
readandpostrosie

What do you mean by the "end" of your driveway, the foot (by the road) or the head (by where you park)... I think of where one parks as the "end", as in the driveway *ends* at the garage. It's generally not a good idea to plant shrubs at the foot of a driveway (can obstruct the view of the roadway). Since you're not sure what you want I would suggest planting a patch of annuals, color choices are infinite, and annuals were invented for lazy people. At some point you may decide on something more permanent, like a low growing rock garden... but if you live where snow fall is considerable it's a good idea not to do anything too involved at the foot of the driveway or snow removal will probably do major damage to your efforts. A small patch of petunias will add lots of color all summer and require minimal care.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon[_1_];741267']"readandpostrosie" wrote:-

at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that ar just beautiful. the entrance could use some color however and i would like to pu some bushes of some sort out there.

[...]

i think the suggestions made by sheldon are really good as we dont know what the area that u want to put colour into looks like or where it is actually located. maybe take a picture so that we can at least get an idea of where u want to put things. just a thought. good luck. cyaaaaaaa, sockiesca :)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

thanks to both of you! by the end, i DID mean the entrance to our driveway..................but about 20 feet from where the snow is piled up in the winter. annuals are for "lazy" folks? i would have thought the opposite......................perennials, need to be planted just once! ;)

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Many perennials do require a fair bit of work, and most only bloom for a short time. Annuals, however are quite carefree and most self-seed freely and thus also only need to be planted once... :-)

I haven't planted violas, snapdragons, gloriosa daisies, alyssum, foxglove, moss rose or sunflowers for years... they just keep coming back. I might relocate a few, but otherwise I just let 'em grow.

One perennial that I've lately fallen in love with is Summer Sun Heliopsis. Nice tall perennial with yellow flowers and a long blooming time.

snotbottom