Looking for Bamboo in St. Lucie, Fl

I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl and I am looking for some clumping bamboo for a hedge. I will drive up to 75 miles to get it, I will even dig it myself and pay you for it. I would like to have Hedge bamboo or Alphonse Karr bamboo but it is not necessary.

Thanks

David

Reply to
Dave

David, please make sure that you've arranged to contain the bamboo . . . even clumping bamboo will set runners and spread. If not, you will be less than happy in a few years.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

A barrier system is not necessary with clumping bamboo's. Rhizomes DO NOT run sideways with clumping bamboos and only spread a few inches per year. From what I understand runners do not do well in Florida.

Check out the Florida/Carribean chapter of the American Bamboo Society.

Chris

Chris, a few inches a year translates into a couple of feet a decade. Most of them have been eradicated now, but all up and down the East Coast, including in FL, there were estates where someone had planted th fashionable bamboo -- including clumping varieties -- in 1920s; and, then after the Crash, they were abandoned or let go wild. There were places where they literally had to take the bamboo out with a backhoe and burnoff. So, I'd have my control system planned BEFORE I planted the bamboo.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

The only problem is that a clumping bamboo will not be contained. It can exert enormous pressure on whatever it is butting up against. A running bamboo will turn away from the barrier.

This is a photo of a clumping bamboo in a concrete planter.

course, if I left my ginger plants, my bougainvillea, my lawn, my box hedge, my roses and even my camphor tree abandoned to the decades it will run rampant as well.

We are discussing reasonable people doing reasonable things with plants, not what if the world ends tomorrow. For a reasonable person to plant a clumping bamboo without a barrier is not an unreasonable thing or even the end of the world.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Mogie,

Having grown many species of bamboo for over 15 years I can say that there are _no_ bamboos that need monthly cutting back in order to control them. Chances are you had Arundo donax, which a lot of people mistake for bamboo. It is a true grass, not a bamboo.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Johannessen

Chris, a few inches a year translates into a couple of feet a decade. Most of them have been eradicated now, but all up and down the East Coast, including in FL, there were estates where someone had planted th fashionable bamboo -- including clumping varieties -- in 1920s; and, then after the Crash, they were abandoned or let go wild. There were places where they literally had to take the bamboo out with a backhoe and burnoff. So, I'd have my control system planned BEFORE I planted the bamboo.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

WE had bamboo that needed monthly cutting back. Not a little but it was a major job. This is very invasive. Avoid if possible. Nearly impossible to control.

Reply to
Mogie

Reply to
Mogie