living fence in the shade???

I'd like to put shrubs of some kind along the back lot line. Preferably ones that have berries for the birds. I have mulberry trees back there and I don't want to cut them down so it is very shady. The only light they might get would be coming from the north. Do elderberry bushes need much light? Maybe I'm just out of luck hoping to grow things back there.

Marilyn in central Ohio

Reply to
Allview

At library or bookstore, borrow/buy/order a book called "Complete Shade Gardener" by George Schenk and Peter Loewer. It's amazing. You'll end up with more than enough ideas for your situation. Matter of fact, you may end up replanting the entire yard. :-) Paperback, 17.95 at Barnes & Noble.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Some of the viburnums will grow well in shade, and most have fruit that birds like. I suggest you keep them in mind when you ask your local nursery for suggestions.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

The Pacific Red Elderberry grows rapidly & does superbly in shady spots. They can grow ten or fifteen feet tall in just a couple years if you let them, but they are also easy to prune to smaller sizes without looking butchered.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Try a raspberry, tolerates shade and birds love them. They can be a little invasive if you have a garden bed nearby.

Reply to
Pen

Is this suitable for central Ohio? M.

Reply to
Allview

As suggested earlier, I have ordered the book "Complete Shade Gardener" by George Schenk.

M.

Reply to
Allview

You're gonna have fun with that book!