Lawnboy running eratically

Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it is annoying and probably headed for the shop. Googling suggested adjusting nut on carburetor but I can't find one. It's been in the shop before (about a month before end of last season). Mower is 5 years old and used ~2 hr/week in cutting season. I do all the suggested maintenance but they tell you nothing about inner workings. When tuned, the damned thing uses gas like crazy but when it settles down, gas usage goes way down which makes me think there is some simple bottleneck/adjustment to carburetor. Any suggestions would be welcome. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Excessive fuel consumption could be an improper air/fuel setting. The Lawnboy may be a type where there are no external adjustments available, or they are buried somewheres inside the carboretor. Uneven running could be the float in the carburator is sticking, not allowing the chamber to evenly fill with fuel. One drawback of these inexpensive engines is that they are not designed for easy maintenance.

Sherw> Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it is

Reply to
sherwindu

I've had that same problem from time to time. Read on another newsgroup that the problem may be old or polluted gasoline.

Not sure that fresh gasoline is the answer to the problem, but as I remember the problem never happens when the gasoline is no more than 2 or 3 weeks old. Any older than that then the mower runs raggedy and jumps all over the place.

I have started getting my gasoline in a gallon container instead of a two gallon can and so far the problem does SEEM to be solved or at least much improved.

Reply to
Hound Dog

buried somewheres inside

sticking, not allowing the

engines is that they are not

I'm also open to suggestions on a better lawn mower. I have 0.8 acre, mostly slopes, and tractor will not due since back is down a slope. I like rear wheel drive and mulch all grass. I actually have 2 of these Lawnboys but did not bring into discussion. Older is 10 years old and I thought it was fine but when it got stuck in the shop for 3 weeks, I just bought another as a back-up. I tried to disassemble and clean the carburator before but apparently I also had a magneto problem and carburator was tough for me to put back together. I don't mind paying for service but hauling the mowers back and forth and waiting 3 weeks is a pain. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Robert Chambers

I have had a Honda self propelled mower for over 20 years, and it still runs good with regular normal maintenance. The Brigs engines seem to be stubborn starters in cold weather, and they don't give you accessible external controls to adjust the air/fuel, etc. The Honda is more expensive, but in my opinion, worth the extra cost.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

I'm tending in that direction. One of my son's used one of my Lawnboys for a year before he had to get it serviced. He bought a Honda and said it is far superior to the Lawnboy. Don't know what my eldest son has but he said he bought a reconditioned mower from Home Depot and has had no problem with it in 5 years. I think now my Lawnboys are going to Goodwill next time they need repair. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

"Frank Logullo" writes in article dated Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:24:31 GMT:

Many carb problems can be solved by adding a bottle of carb cleaner to the gas. The more concentrated, the better, as long as there's still enough gas in the mix to run.

This is especially applicable to problems that occur at the beginning of a mowing season, after the engine was sitting all winter.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

I used to have a Sears mower. Did the same thing. Stuck fuel float on mine. Being too cheap to replace the float I used a special lawnmower rock. A couple of taps on the fuel bowl keep the thing running for years.

The fuel float controls the amount of fuel going to the mower. It's located in the fuel bowl. That's the thingy right before the carb.

Kinda looks like a kids teacup. Float is more than likely a little sticky.

Anywho, haven't been posting for the past couple of years, hope everyone is well.

patg roadkill001(at)yahool(dot)com patsporch(dot)com

Reply to
patg

dated Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:24:31 GMT:

suggestions

I'm trying that. Not sure if much help yet. Carb cleaner in fuel line or directly in throat sounds good but goes back to cycling when it burns off. Also wondering about 2 cycle oil I'm using (Pennsoil). Almost through a gallon I got. A hell of a lot cheaper than Lawnboys but I will go back to Lawnboys. Going to nurse mowers as far as I can and when they die, give to Goodwill and buy a Honda. Don't mind paying repairs but had to make 3 roundtrips to shop last year with Lawnboys and it was a pain. Guess old Briggs and Stratton el cheapo that lasted 25 years without going in shop spoiled me. Frank Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Robert Chambers

You make an excellent point that we all need to know in that good products can go bad. I had a Toro as that product line was going down hill and it spent considerable time in shop getting repaired.

The Lawnboy when new or brought back to specs burns gas like crazy. Highly annoying to me as bottom of my property is terraced, essentially 2 flights down, and I run out of gas and have to trudge up the slopes for more ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

"Frank Logullo" writes in article dated Fri, 06 May 2005 18:23:19 GMT:

To me that indicates that there is some kind of clog upstream of the fuel line. Or bad fuel.

I don't see the point of putting a 2-stroke on a mower. For the same HP it saves a little weight compared to a 4-stroke, but the thing's on wheels anyway. And the exhaust stinks, which is why 2-stroke cars and motorcycles aren't street legal in the US.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

I bought a Honda HRC216HXA Commercial. Probablly overkill for what I use it for. I am a home owner with perhaps 1/2 acres of lawn (may be a bit more) on up and down, slopey terrain. It takes me about two hours and 3 refils of the Honda to cut everythiing. I find that the mower is easy to start, and the Hydrostatic control is nice in that you can control the speed nicely, i.e. you "don't get scared" when the thing does not run away from you. So far (two months) everthing as been super reliable. I have used some older mowers in the past, all in England, Hayter, ATCO, Flymo, Xenoh (RedMax overhere in the USA I think), That was a while back (20 Years ago). I must admit this is one of the best mowers I have used. My only surprise was the noise it makes. Maybe I am getting old. I always wear eye and ear protection when using it.

Warmest regards, Mike.

Reply to
sacstinkytiger