Larkspur

I bought this beautiful big Larkspur at Lowe's on Mothers Day (and it wasn't cheap either!). It's now planted in my butterfly garden in full sun, and it looks ill. About half the leaves from the bottom to the middle of the stalk are turning brown and dropping off. Are larkspurs hard to grow? Do they need lots of water, not as much water...fertilizer? Help!

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas (where we have seen NO rain for over 2 months:(

Reply to
junkyardcat

Larkspurs are a spring blooming, cool weather annual. Mine have been blooming for many months now and they are browning up and going to seed. Daily I go out and harvest the seed pods and in the fall I sprinkle them out again for next years spring blooming. They do not last much past May or early June up north. Down here in TX they are starting to melt now.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

Thanks for that info! Wish I would've known that when I spent that much money on it, LOL! Oh well...I'll harvest the seeds and sprinkle them like you do and have beautiful flowers next Spring:)

Thanks again!

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Angie,

I'd have to wonder... since you paid a lot of money for this Larkspur.. whether it was really the Larkspur, or what we know in the Northeast as a Delphinium.

Here in the Northeast, the two are separate, Larkspur is known as an annual which will re-seed itself. Delphinium is a perennial which will bloom in early spring, set seed and reseed , but come back from the original crown for many years.

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
Sue in Western Maine