Jalapeno Conspiracy

Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM to e-mail me.

Reply to
Nick Cramer

Thank you. I have been reading this thread (which I started) for a week and tasting jalapenos from the garden and the supermarket.

They are everything that has been said about them.... about the nicest pepper on earth but they are not hot anymore.

They, like everything else, have been dumbed down for the mushbrained masses.

If I come across a hot one, I will save the seeds and try to re-culture them.

We have been screwed again by those who "know" what we should like.... Wonder bread, Bud, chicken breast and now sweet jalapenos

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

Is there such a thing as an heirlooom pepper seed exchange? Like for tomatoes?

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

Yes, several of them, Google will show the way. In addition several seedsmen rate their jalapeno's as to heat. I don't grow jalapeno's but the local nurseries carry both the TAMU (Texas A&M University) mild and the hotter versions. Keep it in mind though that jalapeno's are one of the mildest chiles out there.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

There are lots of places that sell seeds. I bought from this place earlier in the year:

they were dependable and had a good selection. Hot peppers are one of the hardest seeds to start and they take forever to get to a healthy seedling that can be put out. The hottest pepper to grow easily are Caribbean red habeneros. Although I did get some hot pepper seedlings started from seed, my local nursery had lots of red hab seedlings and I loaded up on them for the garden this year. It's a lot easier just buying the seedling and be done with it.

Jalapenos never were hot IMHO. They're usually listed around 3000 Skoville Units whereas red and yellow habs run up to 300,000 Skoville units. Even chili peppers for hot dogs are an order of magnitude hotter than jalapenos. I gave up growing jalapenos years ago. Habs produce more per plant and you can make a salsa with them that will make everyone who eats it run to the bathroom to clear their bowels. It's nothing but fun when habenero harvest time comes which should be in a couple of weeks here.

Reply to
Mark Anderson
*snip*

i've never thought that they were that hot either........now my tabasco and cayenne this year have been outstanding. brings you to tears. ate a cayenne with lunch yesterday, it pure made the inside of my nose burn. hot peppers are a great way to open the sinuses!

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Charlie

am surprised to learn that it should be hotter than Cayenne.

However, I have also lost faith in Penseys. Their Cayenne varies all over the map. The same type will be very mild in one order and very hot in the next.

This can not be a function of age as we have compared two different lots at the same time and in general terms, it takes twice as much of one to get the same heat. Or a wet finger tip full varies from very mild to very hot.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

I don't think I would accept their assessment of dried jalapenos. I dried them and powdered them for several years to use as an additive for "Southwestern" bread. Never found them to be even close to as hot as cayenne. YMMV

George

Reply to
George Shirley

i agree with george, cayenne is definitely better to me too.

Reply to
rachael simpson